The main attraction is Miklos Rózsa's 1961 score for the medieval epic El Cid, the tale of Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar ("El Cid," i.e., the Master).
![]() |
| Sophia Loren and Charlton Heston |
The film starred the not-very-Spanish Charlton Heston and the very Italian Sophia Loren, along with the usual cast of thousands, seen marauding on the cover above.
Cinemascope action (actually "Super Technirama") was just the thing for the Hungarian emigre Rózsa, who had quite a successful career scoring epics and film noir in particular. He could wrote stirring themes and love music of equal quality and does so in this film.
![]() |
| Heston at large |
The real story of El Cid is a complicated one that isn't all that germane to the film music. If you want to be confused by his various wars and his allegiances with both Christian and Muslim rulers alike, Wiki has just the article for you. As for the film, I haven't seen it in more than 50 years, so I can't be of much help. The Wiki article on El Cid the film spells the plot out in detail. It notes in passing that producer Samuel Bronston, who had set up shop in Spain, came up with the idea of making the film to curry favor with Francisco Franco, who saw himself as the reincarnation of El Cid.
![]() |
| Miklos Rózsa in the studio |
I can tell you that the music is splendid; one of Rózsa's most famous and accomplished scores. For this record - and I believe for the complete soundtrack - he conducts the Graunke Orchestra of Munich, which specialized in recording soundtracks in the 1960s.
Wiki also provides the wonderful anecdote that Bronston first hired Mario Nascimbene to write the music, but wanted him to base it on Massenet's opera Le Cid, which the Nascimbene refused to do. Enter Rózsa, who eventually had his own problems with the producer. I don't hear any Massenet in the score, but then of the composer's 30 operas I've only heard Werther.
The result is a sweeping film epic (I'm told) and a powerful and varied score, a credit to both the director (Anthony Mann) and composer.
By the way, the El Cid LP came in a gatefold cover; the download includes complete scans, as always.
Finally, let me mention that the record would win no prizes for its sound, which was close and harsh, probably designed for maximum bombast on the huge stereo consoles then in vogue. I've adjusted the sonics to be more pleasing to today's listeners (or at least me).
Bonus: Promo Spots
Somewhere along the line I acquired a recording of promo spots for El Cid, which I've included as a bonus. These are 10 to 60 second radio ads that tout the rave reviews for the film (unsurprisingly). They are quite unexciting, but I love this sort of thing and I suspect some of you may as well. At least I tell myself that.LINK to soundtrack and promo spots
More Rózsa
To go along with the El Cid score, I've revisited two noted Rózsa scores from the early days of the blog. The links below take you to the original posts.
Quo Vadis. The "story of the love of a victorious Roman warrior for a Christian slave girl," says the liner notes for this 1951 epic with Robert Taylor and Deborah Kerr (not my idea of a slave girl). This falls squarely in the epic realm, and Rózsa was entrusted with the music, which he did well. This 10-incher and the following record were both conducted by the composer.The Red House. IMDb tells us, "An old man and his sister are concealing a terrible secret from their adopted teen daughter, concerning a hidden abandoned farmhouse, located deep in the woods." It's a horror film from 1947, just the sort of thing for Rózsa to break out the theremin he had previously used for Spellbound and Lost Weekend. His recording first appeared on this EP.






18 comments:
i love soundtrack recordings! so, many thanks for this one, especially when the composer is also the conducter!
bicho - I love 'em, too! Hope you enjoy this one.
My father has this album in his soundtrack album collection. Will have to pull it out and give it a listen. Thanks for sharing.
musicman - Good idea! It's a fun score.
Great
I just love when you do some film music for us! As a lifelong Rózsa superfan, I have every version and re-recording of this memorable score. (The film is a treat, too. If you ever find the time, watch the restored version on as big a tv as you can find.) Bronston's motivation (and historical accuracy) aside, it's just one of those great roadshow experiences, helped immeasurably (IMO) by this gorgeous and stirring score. The maestro pulls out all the stops at the peak of his Massive Historical Epic Phase. Altho I already have every version of this score, you still manage to surprise and delight with the inclusion of those promo tracks, which will make great bonus material in my hefty Rózsa collection! Thank you!
Thanks for the music and promo hype! Love it!
I've also thought about collecting all the records that use this same sort of lettering, where it seems to recede from the viewer to make it look taller. Bernstein's Hawaii soundtrack is probably the most popular example. Are they all drawn by the same artist?
https://www.discogs.com/master/620498-Elmer-Bernstein-Hawaii-Original-Motion-Picture-Score
mike - You have all the versions! A true fan. Let me know what you think about this one. Glad you liked the bonus!
Ernie - That's a great question. My sense is that coming of Cinemascope and its wide-screen brethren brought on the monumental letting. It was suited to epics, certainly. But such lettering had been used in other contexts as well. One example that comes to mind is Fiat automobiles, which used a similar technique as far back as the 1920s. Here's an example:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/708676422/vintage-fiat-1400-advertisment-poster-a3
Cool!
Thanks Buster for these genuine and irreplaceable recordings. Roszà was defintely one the best composers of film music and sometimes his more 'serious' works such as his Concert Overture or his fabulous Theme, Variations and Finale, Op. 13 are very close in mind.
Thanks, Jean - I have heard those concert works and much enjoyed them as well!
Rozsa once described this as his last great score. (Not sure I agree.) I've heard a few versions over the years, but never this one. Many thanks Buster. And I agree with luckymike - the movie itself is terrific, helped in no small part by this sensational score.
Phillip - Hope you like this version!
I watched El Cid a few months ago. I had read Basinger's book on Anthony Mann and needed to see his late epic films to connect them to Mann's films noir and the Jimmy Stewart films. I watched it in pieces and had trouble with the story.
I have never had trouble with Rozsa's score since I bought a remainder of the soundtrack for 99 cents a year after the movie. I was 15 and now I'm 79. Not a year has gone by without listening to the soundtrack of El Cid. Thanks for the download and all the info.
agmiller - You really are a fan! Hope you like this transfer.
Hi Buster, I had to go to Sweden to appease a client on several of my work dealings. Then, we updated the business of one of her friends the next day, which was today.
That being said, I loaded up my MP3 player with extra albums to listen too on my travels.
These albums you shared here were just great for that purpose. Pleasant to listen to, and not two distracting from working on my laptop on the S-Bahn.
This is why I love instrumental albums or almost instrumental albums. They fit basically any situation, and you reap the rewards as you listen to them.
I am glad you shared them, and I downloaded them.
I have saved some vocal shares you offered for my travels on the way back. These, I hope, will keep me awake by keeping my brain busy during the traveling, hahaa.
That's wonderful, Brian - keep listening! And keep those clients happy!
Post a Comment