
The fine film composer Miklos Rózsa made a suite from the music he wrote for the 1947 Edward G. Robinson potboiler The Red House, and recorded it for this Capitol release. It first came out on 78s and then in 1951 on this EP (among other formats).
While the music is not Rózsa's best work, nor is this Capitol's best recording, it is certainly worth your time.
I have to admit that my favorite part of this release is this wonderfully melodramatic (and anonymous) cover, which is redolent of the best contemporary poster art. The title and the cover images may lead you to believe that the film has something to do with clandestine Commies, but not so, according to IMDB.
Capitol packaged these recordings with other EPs containing Rózsa's music from Quo Vadis and Spellbound for a 12-inch recording.


18 comments:
Thanks Buster for this one and any other Miklos Rozsa you might have. The front cover is absolutely terrific. Jim
What a terific cover, Buster your genious, I realy don't think than nobody could not be interesting by a Rosza Score. Where is it, Oh you must post them OK we will wait. And thank you for this one.
I have no words for this, ...
And you have also Quo Vadis? ? and Spellbound?
on ep? (seems to be the Erich Kloss ones?)
Once I had The Egyptian (ok other composers)ep's in my hand, but this?
@ Princes Valiant,
You're right, I believe the other recordings on the LP are the Erich Kloss versions.
Nevertheless. I love your site. I have to learn a bit more about this Erich Kloss.
I only remember him from Ben-Hur Volume 2.
Buster, can you reup the link?
thanks in advance...
Denys P.R.
=================
Denys - Will do, as soon as I can.
Repitched and remastered version (Apple lossless format):
https://mega.nz/#!Sd8nBART!yW55q58mRzMgw4XfFCvtA0r07tf2O_eZrLkAVIw84jA
Thanks so much for re-uping this rare item. Greatly appreciated.
Thanks for re-upping a nice LP I missed before, Buster. Also, if you still have the Quo Vadis/Spellbound recording, I would love to have it. Thanks in advance.
Don - I don't believe I have that one transferred, but the Quo Vadis LP is available here:
http://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/2009/02/quo-vadis.html
Thanks for this document! My question is: which orchestra is playing? This was a Thalia / Sol Lesser / United released film, so was this a pick-up ensemble or one of the studio orchestras?
One other comment. The jacket states that Dr. Rozsa was the first composer to use the theremin in film music. Of course it was actually Waxman, in Bride of Frankenstein, some 12 years earlier... or do you agree with those who say that was the ondes martenot? (Not that I don't love Rozsas various applications, Spellbound, The Lost Weekend.)
michael - My guess is a pickup orchestra, but I have no special knowledge. As for Bride of Frankenstein, it could have been a theremin, which was invented in the 20s, I believe, but again, I am no expert.
Buster, here's my own favorite Rosza recording, his pure classical music, taped for RCA Victor's celebrated Living Stereo series and released as LSC-2802. As usual, I had a mint shaded doggie in my old Lp collection, PLUS a (German? UK?) Victor import issue; but these are long gone. I managed to find a HIDEOUS MESS of this album uploaded by a wretched, incompetent blogger who shall remain nameless; even worse, his copy had a skip and VERY bad surfaces. I made some (nearly futile) attempts to try to clean it up somewhat, but you shouldn't bother to put lipstick on a pig. (I suppose I could tolerate it while driving a tractor.)
Of course there is a state of the art custom made modern stereo LP "high end" reissue of this, so if one likes the music and splendid performances, that should warrant an investment.
https://www3.zippyshare.com/v/xHqEKnDH/file.html
(103 MB lossy mp3s, zipped)
Maybe it's only poetic justice that this upload will expire in 30 days!
8h haggis
Thanks for the Rozsa - I don't believe I have this one!
Thanks. Love the movie as well :p
j.
Muchas, Muchas gracias
Post a Comment