16 January 2009

Magnificent Obsession


Had a request for this one from Dylan over at Franklynot. He has developed a thing for Frank Skinner's scores for some of those overripe 50s dramas.

So here is the music from Magnificent Obsession, with a cover featuring Rock Hudson's magnificent compression against Jane Wyman's chest. In this score, Skinner riffs on themes from some fellows named Beethoven, Chopin, and Johann Strauss.

The story is a soupy one, with Rock as a drunken playboy who becomes a great surgeon after causing the Jane's husband to die and Jane to go blind. A contrite Rock operates and restores Jane's sight. I think there is a sequel called Magnificent Resurrection in which Rock brings the husband back to life, but maybe I am imagining that.

5 comments:

Jim said...

Incredible site. Just thought I'd mention that Magnificent Obsession is coming out on Criterion January 20.

Thanks for doing all this.
Jim

snoopy1960 said...

OMGoodness! Buster, you're the best. I love this movie and now I have the soundtrack! Thank you so much! :)

denyspr said...

please re-up this , Buster...
Denys P.R.
=================

Buster said...

Remastered version (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/#!acVxUR5Q!jyhzlAupGPXh3sAG0fu_F-4FKeXotYc5RQPCfC1daA0

Unknown said...

Thanks Buster for all that you do!