04 January 2009

Buddy Clark, Part 3

Another post devoted to the work of the short-lived singer Buddy Clark, here in the company of Dinah Shore, who brightened the American airwaves until relatively recently.

This LP is actually a compilation of singles: two sides by Clark, two by Shore, and four duets. Columbia issued this album among its first LPs, in 1948.

This record's original owner was one Ross C. Kendall of Polk, Pa., who helpfully noted that it is "An Excellent Record" in large script on the cover. I won't disagree, although I did obliterate Ross' evaluation in preparing the image above.

19 comments:

Scoredaddy said...

Very nice and very much appreciated. Wouldn't it be nice if CBS Sony/BMG issued a CD set of the COMPLETE BUDDY CLARK AT COLUMBIA!! This, of course, would be in a fantasy world where music still sells in huge quantities and record companies would make that sort of investment. Oh well...
Thanks Buster.

Buster said...

It wasn't until fairly recently that complete sets for such mega-stars as Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin existed. I completed my collection of Frank's Columbia recordings just before the complete box set was announced! I almost had the Dino Capitol collection complete when Bear Family started issuing the recordings. I don't think Buddy is in line for such treatment.

Scoredaddy said...

I think you are correct, Buster. Do you have any Tony Bennett in your collection by any chance?

Buster said...

I do, but I suspect the 12-inch LPs are well-mined already and the 10-inch material is of his early hits (e.g., Because of You). I do have some 45s and 78s. Let me see if any of them are of interest.

Ernie said...

Didn't Dinah and Buddy do "Baby, It's Cold Outside" together? I've always liked that version. I think I have that 78 somewhere among my things.

Buster said...

Hi Ernie, I'll have to check on that - I used to have a Buddy Clark discography that I can't find. It seems to me that such a number, if in existence, may have been reissued on CD. I'll see if I can confirm. (Out of town until end of week.)

Ernie said...

I know it has been out on a two record Christmas collection from Columbia. I recorded it from that vinyl a couple of years back, before I saw the 78. I didn't even make the Buddy Clark connection until today, I had it filed away in my head as a Dinah Shore track with some other guy. Funny how that happens. :)

StealthMan said...

This is a great recording and a great transfer. I really enjoy the early Dinah Shore.

Buster said...

StealthMan - Glad you enjoyed it. I'm amazed it's still out there.

Hit Parade said...

Buster,
Please re-activate this link.
Thank you

Hit Parade said...

Buster,
Please re-activate this link.
Thank you

Muff Diver said...



Thanks for the re-up Buster. I'm going to enjoy this record!

RayKay said...

Thank you, Buster. Much appreciated!

Buster said...

New remastering:

https://mega.nz/file/HNMSgCyQ#6ZItF_MfUMdoh0jKJEiwEO9qDUVhexQl0X9JAVWNiU4

RonH said...

How could i have missed this one? Then, in 2009, I was still a 'young' man. I'm an old buck now (75) but I'm very happy with it. Thank you very much Buster

gimpiero said...

Dinah No1 in the world!

Buster said...

Thanks, Ron!

Buster said...

gimpiero - She's one of the greats!

gimpiero said...

Yes one of the many and many greats like Jo, Peggy, Julie, Patti, Doris, Judy ... and at the top Billie, Sarah, Ella, Anita and Carmen