16 January 2009

Digression No. 15

A fellow by the name of Zorchman stopped by the other day, thanked me for the Lord Buckley album on this site, and invited us all to visit his emporium, Zorch's Inner Sanctum.

Well, I did stop by, and I have to say it's quite a lot of fun for a record guy. He says nice things about this site, and inspired by our focus on 10-inch LPs shares a few of his own, both of which are very desirable. One is a Bob and Ray album (don't see too many of those), and the other is an album by a fellow named Dick Wetmore (don't see any of those). He also offers an alternate take of one of the Lord Buckley sides.

Zorchman's main interests are 78s and 45s, with an emphasis on the obscure and incongruous, such as Edith Piaf doing Black Leather Trousers and Motorcycle Boots or Jo Stafford doing Ray Charles' I Got a Woman (which became I Got a Sweetie). There's also a 78 of Robert McBride performing Sweet Sue on the english horn. I am fairly sure this is the same Robert McBride whose violin concerto is coupled below with Ives' Three Places in New England.

And related to the previous post on Ronnie Deauville, coincidentally Zorchman shares a Mills Brothers version of Gloria that is contemporaneous with the Deauville record.

No comments: