12 January 2009

Tony Bennett, Part 1

I had a request from Scoredaddy, a Tony Bennett fancier, for some early sides by the great singer. So here is Tony's first LP, from 1952, featuring his first mega-hit, "Because of You." 

In the time-honored practice of record companies everywhere, in 1956 Columbia released another 10-inch LP with the same name but with almost completely different contents (the cover is below). For this post I have combined the eight songs on the LP above with the four songs on the LP below that aren't redundant. I suppose that makes this the "Complete Because of You." 

In the time between the two LPs, Columbia decided that it made great sense to add even more reverb to the already echoey sound on the original recordings, making the newer LP somewhat boomy sounding. This is a near-universal tendency among reissue engineers that has always baffled me. Today's reissues of the material from this era usually have reverb added, a heightened mid-range, and are cut at a high level. As a result they sound overbearing and are hard to listen to for any length of time. 

Well, enough of the diatribe, which has nothing to do with Bennett, after all. Those of you who have not heard much early Tony will discover that his approach back then was more intense and showy than his later style. By the way, this record includes "While We're Young," which is one of Alec Wilder's best known tunes. I suspect the influence of Columbia A&R chief Mitch Miller, who was a Wilder associate. Columbia's Rosemary Clooney also recorded the tune at about the same time, and it is the the title song of one of her early LPs

Note (July 2023): this has not been remastered in ambient stereo.


16 comments:

Scoredaddy said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I much appreciate this. And a big treat that you included both covers of the 2 differenet issues.

Do you have ALONE AT LAST? Also, I am looking for a Bennett EP with catalog # B2079? Has 4 songs: A Blossom Fell, something's Gotta Give, Whatever Lola Wants, and Heart.

Much gratitude Buster!!!!

Buster said...

@ Scoredaddy,

I spent some time last night looking for Tony's singles. Not sure if I have the one you mention. I specifically looked for that EP, coincidentally, but didn't find it. However, my collection is a bit, shall we say, dishevelled, so it may turn up.

Buster said...

@ Scoredaddy,

It turns out that I do have the EP, which I'll include in the next go-round. I don't have the single, though, as far as I can tell.

the jazzman said...

Many thanks.

Paolo S said...

Thank You!

Ernie said...

What's the backstory behind Columbia's House Party series? I don't have many of them, but I always thought they were reissues of older stuff. This one is half new and half old? Is there a pattern to them or are they just whatever Columbia wanted at the time?

Buster said...

@ Ernie,

My impression has always been that they were low-cost collections of materials that had appeared in previous issues, either as singles or on albums. They contained six songs rather than the standard eight on the usual 10-inch LP. I would guess that they were designed to counteract the budget labels of the day. Not sure if they were distributed by rack jobbers to dime stores or the like or whether they were sold through record stores.

Scoredaddy said...

Thanks Buster. I look forward to the EP. Which single are yu talking about?

Buster said...

@ Scoredaddy,

I thought you were asking about the single Alone at Last, which I don't have. I don't think there is an LP by that name, although I could be wrong. There is an LP called Alone Together, which I do have.

Scoredaddy said...

Buster, sorry, I was talking about a 10" titled ALONE AT LAST. Alone Together I do have.

Buster said...

Oh, right you are - that's his only other 10". Unfortunately I don't have it.

Scoredaddy said...

ALONE AT LAST 10" is House Part # CL2507

Scoredaddy said...

no problem Buster. The other EP is a much better "find" for me!

DZONDZON said...

I've been browsing your blog and just thought I'd stop a second and epress my admiration for the files I've already downloaded without comment. I love your blog and I thank you for your passion (obession?)with these records. Keep up the good work!

Buster said...

@ DZONDZON,

Passion, obsession...whatever you want to call it, I love records. Thanks for your note!

Buster said...

Ambient stereo version, Apple lossless:

https://mega.nz/file/KZEVxY7a#e5DSp6eRsOWoxT7gc5mgYRRh_H81VkjoH8BcYqbyFzQ