20 February 2009

Quo Vadis


I had a request for Miklos Rózsa's original soundtrack LP from Quo Vadis from Gil, who wants to hear the original Roman instruments that Rózsa apparently used for some parts of this recording.

Sure enough, in the liner notes it says that "Dr. Rózsa included in the orchestra many of the ancient instruments that were heard by the Romans during the reign of Nero." (But presumably not Nero's fiddle.)

Roman instruments or not, parts of this score raise quite a racket. And some of it is tender and contemplative. I am inclined toward the latter, myself, but whatever your own preference, you'll probably find something to like.

The sonics are fair, a bit of peak distortion and overloading here and there, but not too bad.

Note (April 2026): this has now been remastered and has improved sound.

LINK to 2026 remaster

7 comments:

Princes Valiant said...

Wooow! Thanks! Today, it'll be Rozsa day! And the foobar2000 works fine!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!
Please keep up sharing these extremely hard-to-find recordings. I had heard of this one.. thought I'd never be able to find it.
Thanx!!!

denyspr said...

Once more , let me feel happy...re-up this, too !
Denys P.R.
=================

Buster said...

Remastered version (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/#!KANjHABD!yCoyE_yB_74vHmtC6DLQr_QpcuZsju4N-uUYkVhcaHM

alfred venison said...

thank you again. -a.v.

Jim said...

Hey there, THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this. By any chance do you own (or know of) the version of this which includes the "dramatic highlights" as well? I have been searching for both for years.

Buster said...

Marc - I don't believe I have that one, sorry!