06 February 2009

Mel Blanc


The voice of Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, Woody Woodpecker and so many other characters is almost inescapable. But Mel Blanc's records are much more unusual, and this is one that compiles a selection of his songs, originally issued - or so I think - on Capitol singles.

A panic? I think not, although his Al Jolson impression is very amusing, complete with a wacky whistling chorus, "mwahh" interjections, and cut-ins by Woody and Porky. On the other hand, Mel doing Porky doing K-k-k-Katy is not something I'd like to hear more than once, if that.

Still, this is a fine remembrance of a genuine comic genius.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a re-issue on "Looney Records"(H-436)
16 tracks in all,including those on your blog.
I mainly bought it for "I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat".

mel said...

@ Buster

Well, I had K-K-K-Katy on a 78 when I was little and I must have listened to it hundreds of times with a lot of enjoyment. Mel Blanc was a genius. Thanks very much for posting this.

@ johnp

Does "Looney Records" perhaps include Little Red Monkey? If so, any chance of sharing it?

KungFuTrumpet said...

nicest!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mel Blanc was my hero!

Guy said...

Thanks for sharing this. I've always been a Mel Blanc fan. Not only his cartoons but also his old time radio show and his many early TV appearances (Like the Jack Benny Show).

Your blog has become a favorite of mine. I stop by at least twice a week. Keep up the great work.

Buster said...

@Guy - Thanks so much for your comment and your regular visits!

sturgeonjohnp said...

Please re up Mel Blanc
Please re up all of the Mitch Miller files
Thanks again for all of your quality posts!!

Buster said...

Reup - new link:

https://mega.co.nz/#!OIdj2QQK!uJdaLiuwdLVwjCHsng8MVPTGxHSVlZcvCpGmC4_SlRk