10 April 2010

Johnny Costa


Johnny Costa isn't especially well known, but you won't find many pianists with more technique or imagination.

This LP is from what amounted to his breakout year, 1955, when he made records for both Savoy and Coral. He went on to make a number of other LPs solo and with the First Modern Piano Quartet later in the 50s. From there until a series of albums for Chiaroscuro in the 90s, his only recording was a rare LP of music from a children's television program.

US residents will be familiar with the TV program if not the record - it was Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, which Costa served as music director from the program's debut in 1968 until the pianist's death in 1996.

This post is dedicated to my friend Jazzman. By the way, he is looking for Costa's LP from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood - please let me know in the comments if you have it.

The sound on this record is good, but the pressing has its unfortunate moments, as do many Decca products of this vintage. Below is Coral's ad introducing the record in Billboard - they gave pride of place to Larry Welk and his stable of vocalists.

13 comments:

the jazzman said...

Many thanks for this one. Looking forward to listening.

Butch said...

Johnny Cost
"Piano Solos"
Buster, I followed your link at jazzman's site after trying to find Johnny Costa in Mr Roger's Neighborhood. Thanks for the post and the great
music from the fingers and piano keys of Johnny.
I appreciate the story about Johnny.

Scoredaddy said...

some may find this amusing, but I developed my first interest in jazz as a child watching Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood for which Mr Costa was musical director and pianist. I loved his nimble-fingered solos and tasty improvisations: you'd be surprised how sophisticated they were for a children's show. Anyway, I am the one looking for his MR Rodgers' LP... I hope someone will come through!! Thanks for this, Buster!!

Buster said...

Scoredaddy - I imagine that's just what Johnny and Fred Rogers intended!

Melanchthon said...

Thank You. Nice post & great place, here.

the jazzman said...

I listened to this again with Mrs. Jazzman and she loved it too.

Buster said...

@ the Jazzman - Isn't he great? Every listen is a pleasure.

Buster said...

Remastered version (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/#!nNUThQRa!bghoIfCYQLUx31gzkuUAuAqJMaVb2HFEjX7uEb4nntY

Scoredaddy said...

I did eventually find that Costa Mr Rogers LP!! thanks for this, still great!

Buster said...

SD - Thanks for all the comments! This new version sounds MUCH better.

Sad to see the Jazzman's pic among the comments, isn't it?

rev.b said...

Reading Scoredaddy's comment from 2010, I'm reminded that I probably came to like jazz in a similar way, from Vince's Guaraldi's work for the the Peanuts cartoon specials, that and a budget Lp with Andre' Previn on the first cut. I'd love to check out the Costa/Mr Rogers album. Any chance for a link Scoredaddy.....?

centuri said...

Fantastic LP(s) revisiting famous tunes.
A sort of free (re)interpretation with support of bass and drums always on purpose.
Thanks Buster !!

Buster said...

You're welcome, centuri. FYI, that Sylvia Marlowe record of Falla's Harpsichord Concerto is coming soon.