
At long last here is my second set of unre-released Jeri Southern singles. These 11 songs (except for the promo above) are from old store stock, so the sound is just about as clean as it can be. Of course, we are talking Decca products here, so don't expect sonic miracles.
The songs begin with Baby Did You Hear?, which is listed as being written by Katie Lee, although I think it's a traditional song. This is from 1952, and is the flip side of Southern's breakout song, You Better Go Now. Baby Did You Hear? is perhaps better known in the Dinah Washington rendition.
Next is Give Me Time, one of Alec Wilder's lesser works, backed with What Good Am I Without You. The final 78 is Jeri's take on The Man That Got Away, with Joey on the other side. This record sold fairly well - look below and you'll see the record store's inventory on the sleeve.
We move on to a number of 45s - starting with Stop Me and Would I, from 1956. Next is 1957's I'm Gonna Try Me Some Love, a Jon Hendricks song, with There Is Something In My Eye, an attractive melody with a trite lyric.
Finally, also from 1957, there are two songs from Bells Are Ringing, the expected Just in Time and an excellent version of the title tune.
There's much here to enjoy and admire, I think. Hope you like the selection.

18 comments:
Than you so much for sharing these with us. I'm going to have a good time listening to them.
Thank you for releasing these singles. I am reading the new book Record Store Days. Anyone who loves the thrill of discovery like we do will love it. I have always been an LP guy, but there is so much on 45 that never made it to LP. Thank you for this share and the inspiration to check out the 45 bin.
JohnnyUSA
Many thanks Buster for both sets, wonderful post!
A wonderful artist, and a real thrill to hear these. Many thanks, Buster.
Thanks...it's a real treat to hear these more of these rare tracks by the incomparable Jeri! By the way, "The Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury" also lists Katie Lee as the writer of "Baby Did You Hear?"
@ qatburger,
I think that's the Katie Lee of Songs of Couch and Consultation semi-fame. This is more like Songs of Couch and Appropriation. I would be surprised if the song didn't have a folk blues origin.
I really enjoy this unreleased singles. When I think I've heard all about Jeri... your two additions to the LP discography are a really joy. Really!
I hope that you will surprise us with some new collections. What about the June Christy sides in all those forgotten Stan Kenton albums??? It could be great!! Well, it's just an idea. Anyway, thanks again. Rio Veneno. Madrid. Spain
Thanks again for this great Part II !
any chance of getting this one back? thanks
As someone who's new to your site is there any chance of getting the first batch of Miss Southern's singles back up?
Now that I have the second batch, I'd love to have the first as well.
Thanks.
As someone who's new to your site is there any chance that you repost the first set of singles as well.
Now that I have the second, I'd love to have the first batch as well.
Thanks.
I now notice that I did miss these ones...
Wonderful Buster really truly wonderful!
That's what you are =)
j.
A friend just hipped me to your site. Looking forward to hearing these Jeri Southern singles. Please check out my site, Jazz History Online.com. Here is a link to an essay I wrote about Jeri: http://www.jazzhistoryonline.com/Jeri_Southern.html
Best,
Tom Cunniffe
Thanks, Tom - I will take a look!
Hope you fellows enjoyed - or know about? the clip of Jeri singing Lost, Lonely, and Looking For Love, that I put on YouTube. It's easy enough to find if you don't know about it, a number from a crummy Roger Corman movie - sorry, that's redundant. ;) No doubt she wound up there via the mobsters at Roulette. A nothing song but it's nice to have a bit more footage of her, anyway.
Give Me Time a minor Wilder song? Lots of his tunes knock me out and that's one of a handful of real doozies. Listening to all the songs at the wilderworld blog there are many more that don't do anything for me, but not that one.
Oh, Tom, regarding your essay on Jeri, I once saw At the Crescendo on a list of likely fake live albums, which sounded right to me, given the singer's personality especially. It can be done, you know, has been for a long time too they say.
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!TAl1WB5C!XaSLi3PMeyOosPJdNeTiNZoroO9QV6biij6xLMIW71w
Cannot get enough of Jeri Southern, great songs as ever.
Thank you very much for sharing those new ones Buster!
Post a Comment