01 August 2008

Martha Raye Sings


Martha Raye, if she is remembered at all these days, is known as acomic actor. But she was a pretty good singer, as well, as this late 40s LP attests.

Martha was a child of vaudevillians and on the stage herself from a very young age. Later on she became a band singer, and even made a few records in the 1930s before she broke into films.

She handles a variety of material here - the usual ballads, one nondescript piece by music director Phil Moore, and even Lotus Land. Then there is Ooh, Dr. Kinsey, inspired (if that is the right word) by the Kinsey Report on male sexuality, which came out in 1948 and was quite a sensation. This is a somewhat suggestive blues number. I've read that it sold a half million copies, but I think that's highly unlikely.

Discovery Records spent some money on this production - it has strings and all, even though Phil Moore's boppish arrangements are not very compatible with Raye's style, which is something like Mildred Bailey's.

13 comments:

mel said...

Thank you for this rare LP. I look forward to listening to it!

Hit Parade said...

Buster,
Please re-activate this album.

Maybe I could take this space to ask about another similar singer, Judy Canova, who acted in 22 feature films from 1935-1955 and hosted her own popular network radio program from 1943-1955.

I recently listened to her sing for the first time and felt a odd feeling of loss that I never knew her in her lifetime.

Hit Parade said...

Buster,
Please re-activate this album.

Maybe I could take this space to ask about another similar singer, Judy Canova, who acted in 22 feature films from 1935-1955 and hosted her own popular network radio program from 1943-1955.

I recently listened to her sing for the first time and felt a odd feeling of loss that I never knew her in her lifetime.

Hit Parade said...

Buster,
Please re-activate this album.

Maybe I could take this space to ask about another similar singer, Judy Canova, who acted in 22 feature films from 1935-1955 and hosted her own popular network radio program from 1943-1955.

I recently listened to her sing for the first time and felt a odd feeling of loss that I never knew her in her lifetime.

Hit Parade said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hit Parade said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hit Parade said...

Buster,
Please re-activate this album.

Maybe I could take this space to ask about another similar singer, Judy Canova, who acted in 22 feature films from 1935-1955 and hosted her own popular network radio program from 1943-1955.

I recently listened to her sing for the first time and felt a odd feeling of loss that I never knew her in her lifetime.

Buster said...

Remastered version, with much improved sound:

https://mega.nz/#!zQVSGYpB!1B4CMAbNx6_1IEAWAhG5B_q-Rb8LurEGvP9ffUG2_zs

Ernie said...

Wow, ten years ago! Nice of you to go back and revisit this old stuff again. Thanks!

jeronimo said...

Thanks! Reminds me that once I bought an LP thinking it was one of hers...Was the much more obscure Martha Hayes lol...

j.

Buster said...

Thanks for all the comments, J. I see you are getting around! I have that Martha Hayes LP.

Scoredaddy said...

great! thanks for this

RiCK SAUNDERS said...

Thanks!