
Back at the beginning of this blog, one of the first recordings we featured was by the Page Cavanaugh Trio, a particular favorite of mine. It's time for Page to return, this time with an album on the "X" label, the RCA Victor subsidiary we discussed a few records ago.
I believe this album collects some of the singles that Page recorded for RCA in the 1940s - including The Three Bears. That Bobby Troup song is his signature piece, and it also appeared in a slightly different version on the Vaya LP below. Hey-baba-re-bear, Page!
This record displays Cavanaugh's tremendous pianistic skills - rhythm, touch, imagination, taste - it's all there. And the unison singing seldom sounded better. Speaking of the sound, it's pretty good, but I suspect the RCA transfer engineer couldn't help but add some reverb (they must teach that in transfer engineer school) so the ambiance is just a little fuzzy. But overall, this is most enjoyable.
NEW LINK

5 comments:
Amazing to see Page Cavanaugh show up. I only know his work by the few sides he recorded backing Sinatra in the 40's. THANKS!!
Spectacular. I've been looking for these songs for years. I had given up.
I love this album!
I've heard a lot about Cavanaugh but never had a chance to hear him...
Love that intimistic styla à la Troup or Mooney...
I sure gonna check the other albus as well
A big thank you
j.
Thanks so much for the re-up! Love this guy...
This one I got from you, and I don't see a thank you from me here????!!!!How's that possible...
Probably a download from my pre-blogger profile days...There was once such a time...
Huge thanks Mr. B.
j.
Post a Comment