After revisiting my commentary below on the Don Gillis Saga of a Prairie School, I'd have to say I didn't do the piece justice. You would think you were reading about light music, which really isn't the case at all. This music is deeply felt and quite sincere, while also being easy to grasp. The composition is quite well done.
I also didn't mention the performances, which are excellent, and the sound, which is very fine for its period. Also wanted to mention the cover, by an artist named Louden, which is in a charming sort-of-surrealist style popular at the time.
A nice piece of work - very much worth getting to know.
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
1 month ago

No comments:
Post a Comment