Bergen's version of "When the World Was Young," a song that can seem bathetic even in a sober performance, is almost out of control. At one point pianist Jack Kelly even seems to be lightly mocking her in his phrasing.
But the more I listened to the record, the more I grew to like it. She's a good singer. She sounds sincere in her gung-ho intensity. The songs come off well.
![]() |
| Polly Bergen |
Bergen recorded several more records that were somewhat popular, especially after she won an Emmy for portraying the tragic singer Helen Morgan on television. She was active as an actor, and successful in business as well.
The cover photo is by Burt Goldblatt, who has appeared here before an an artist (see the Johnny Smith item).
Note (July 2024): this item has been updated, and the files have been greatly improved. The new version is in excellent ambient stereo.
LINK
The cover photo is by Burt Goldblatt, who has appeared here before an an artist (see the Johnny Smith item).
Note (July 2024): this item has been updated, and the files have been greatly improved. The new version is in excellent ambient stereo.
LINK



10 comments:
We had a similar reaction to first hearing Polly Bergen, although I've yet to really warm to her "style" (in song or acting). Some songs, particularly from her later LPs, wear better than others. Still, this, like all of your shares, is most appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjhmyMTkPQ
Polly Bergen and Rex Reed discuss the lyrics of Ira Gershwin.
Where she is now to go with where she was at!! A small contribution to your wonderful generous blog
Thanks Robert - I will check into it.
Re Polly Bergen
I have to admit I downloaded this a while ago, but didn't leave a comment...(I'm some posts behind, but I'm working on it)
This album was a real surprise.
I think I even like it more because of the 'stringless backings'. Other things I heard by Bergen, (but I do have to admit that I'm not very familiar with her work) is smoldered in strings...Not that I don't like that kind of settings, but for the high dramatic reading of "example par excellence" 'When The World Was Young' I prefer simpler accompaniment (is that a word?).
In one way that's a bigger challenge for a singer I think, a greater upportunity for showing of dramatic skills. I don't think she could generate the same effect when this was recorded in a stringsetting (but I can be wrong of course)
And what a lovely cover!!! (for that was the main reason why I was after this album)
Thank you
j.
@ jeronimo, I think it depends on the singer and the accompaniment. Sinatra did quite well for himself with fairly elaborate arrangements (although I will admit that I am more fond of some of his arrangers than others). I do think these are Bergen's best records, but I am not sure whether that has to do with the accompaniment or other reasons.
Hi Buster~
Any chance of a re-up on this one?
Would love to hear it.
Thanks for keeping these tunes alive!
Thanks. I had never heard her sing, I must admit, and agree with most of what's been said. I was a bit biased since, being a Judy Garland fan, it is a bit hard to like Freddie Fields' then-wife lol.
I like the selection of songs. Gershwin, Rodgers & Hart ...
I have always loved her. I don't care for peep peep singers with small voices and lazy deliveries of songs. I love the big big voices and dramatic arrangements.
A wonderful re-up, Buster. Great thanks and all best!
Anon - Thanks for your note!
Post a Comment