30 July 2008

Love in the Afternoon


This certainly is not the best soundtrack album I own, but it's probably the shortest - 3 songs.

This is the only soundtrack ever issued for the Hepburn-Cooper-Chevalier opus Love in the Afternoon, a somewhat odious young girl - old man comedy. There sure were a lot of those in the 50s, with other examples also involving Chevalier (Gigi) and Hepburn (Funny Face).

I don't recall why, but the music features the cimbalom, which hardly seems the thing for its Parisian setting. There must have been a reason.

The listed musical adapter for the movie is Franz Waxman, but these songs were not written by him. The big hit here was Fascination. An old song, but its use in the movie inspired the recording of a vocal version by Jane Morgan, which became quite popular.

I confess that this is not a 10-inch record. It is a 7-inch EP, but there was no 10-inch or 12-inch version, and it's from the right era.

NEW TRANSFER

8 comments:

Mindy said...

Thanks so much for this. Your comment about it being a "somewhat odious" young girl/old man comedy is - I suppose - correct. But when my best girlfriend and I saw it in HS, we were just smitten and swooned like crazy. Oooh to be Audrey Hepburn when the "old man" is Gary Cooper!
He was right up there with old men Cary Grant, William Holden and David Niven for us. Perhaps that's why my husband is 11 years older than me!

Buster said...

Thanks Mindy,

I am Coop's age when he made this film and I haven't noticed any young women swooning over me lately (which certainly must mean I am not all that observant).

I'm no social psychologist, but weren't attitudes about older woman - younger man relationships much different than the converse back then? I am thinking of the 10-years later film The Graduate, for example.

But you are right - it's a comedy. Let's not get so serious about it!

filmpac said...

For May-September relationships, one need look no further than Bogie & Bacall... a 25-year age difference.

Another super share, many many thanks Buster:))

Ron said...

The link is dead (not surprising with such a time lapse). I'm really curious to hear this - just sorry there isn't more of it. Please re-upload.

Buster said...

Ron - I will reup it, or I may retransfer it instead.

Ron said...

Thanks Buster, I'll keep checking here.

Buster said...

Here are a new transfer (Apple lossless) and new scans:

https://mega.co.nz/#!XYFWzZyB!TNgo3lGz5id9KP6DWTcwfGavIS8KxkFqTW5ZZ3Wjix4

http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/71779672/file.html

Charlot said...

Another belated comment. It has been a long time since I've seen this movie but IMDB suggests an explanation for the cimbalom. There is apparently a scene in which gypsy musicians are playing for Flannagan (Cooper's character)in a Turkish bath.