We're completing our series of recordings that Noel Mewton-Wood made for Musical Masterpiece Society with this fine performance of Chopin's first concerto.
Fine on Mewton-Wood's part, that is. The orchestral contribution is a little wan, but then this music isn't really about the orchestral contribution.
The pianist displays his typical combination of sensitivity and combustibility here, making this a fitting end to our series.
I haven't exhausted Mewton-Wood's recordings in presenting this series, just the ones in my possession. Pristine Classical has started a new Mewton-Wood series that also includes the Tchaikovsky concerto. They also have several of the items here in professional remasterings and perhaps will be offering other performances that I don't have.
I hope this series has served to inform a few people about the legacy of recordings by this tragically short-lived artist.
LINK
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
1 month ago


2 comments:
cheers for this. enjoying it as i write. i'd been wanting to hear mewton-wood for ages, in particular a couple of recordings he made for the Argo label (about which I'm writing a blog, http://folkcatalogue.wordpress.com/) - Busoni's Sonata No 2 with Max Rostal and Tippett's Boyhood's End with Peter Pears. In the meantime this is a treat. Thanks
@ brezhnev - Oddly, I had just come across your blog because I have an interest in early Argos. I have had a few of them on this blog in their incarnations on American Westminster. I would very much like to acquire the record you mention, along with some other early items. Best wishes on your work!
Post a Comment