Oh, the Magnavox folks aren't bad - they are pleasant to listen to. But Fox is a constant delight, and this album is half his doing. It's a nice addition to his Christmas catalog, some of which has appeared here previously.
![]() |
| Virgil Fox |
The choir's repertoire is almost exclusively holiday favorites. Fox, however, ranges more widely. The cover and labels do not identify what he is playing, unfortunately, and I don't know most of the pieces. So I have labeled them generically as "Organ Interlude" and the like. If any organ savants out there know these pieces, please let us know what they are!
Just to be clear, the chorus and Fox do not perform together. Magnavox must have licensed the organ cuts to fill out the LP and bring some star power to the proceedings. As far as I can tell, the Fox items do not appear on any of his other records. He performs at the organ of Riverside Church in New York, where he was in residence from 1946-65.
Follow @BusterBig10Inch



9 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!aZcElYob!E44E-QXefP1MSrgIm7dX6Oy1hzSz9eqx5pDKN_tyI8Q
Hey Buster! I saw this and the first thing that popped into my head was that I hoped you'd been able to ID the organ tracks. But I guess you got about as far as I did. :) Thanks for sharing!
Ernie - I checked your blog to see if YOU had ID'd them. Then I asked Lee if he knew them. I did figure out a couple of the numbers, but not too many!
Thanks Buster for this rare LP.
A real and pleasant journey through famous Christmas songs.
I can't answer for all the organ interludes, but I do recognize No. 16 as "All My Heart This Night Rejoices" -- mainly from your posting of the Mennonite Hour's "Joy to the World!" (Another fab holiday gift.)
Thank you for all your generosity and hard work, and best of the season to you and yours.
Wortley - Thanks so much for the help!
This LP has matrix numbers G7OP-9050 (A side) / G7OP-9051 (B side). A nine-character number in this format starting with a G means that it was pressed by RCA in 1956. (See here for the RCA year codes.)
The past tense in the notes is surely because as a Christmas LP it was only distributed at the end of the year...?
Boursin - I am sure you are right. I should have checked the matrix number! Thanks for your help.
I always forget about those matrix numbers. I just wish there was a guide to deciphering the Columbia numbers. Or is there one and I don't know about it?
Post a Comment