12 December 2018

Christmas with Bing Crosby and Dick Haymes, Plus a New Year's Romance

Here are Christmas contributions from two of the finest baritones of the last century, Bing Crosby and Dick Haymes, in their primes.

For Haymes, I've assembled his five V-Disc recordings of Christmas fare from a bootleg collection of dubious provenance. Two songs - "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen" - are dubs from Haymes' 1947 Decca Christmas album. "Silent Night," "O Come, All You Faithful" and "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" are taken from broadcasts, I believe.

Dick Haymes
Bing serenades us with 10 seasonal items, all from airchecks dating from 1942 to 1946. The songs range from several Holiday Inn numbers - including "White Christmas" - to two versions of "Adeste Fidelis."

I am sure that most or all of the Crosby material has appeared elsewhere, but I chose to transfer them from a 1970s bootleg with execrable sound - noisy, off pitch and out of kilter. Why? Because I could find it, of course. The results are not too bad, save for some momentary squealing on one cut that I haven't entirely eradicated.

All told, the sound on this material is certainly acceptable, and is sure to please the fans of these two exceptional artists.

An Ardmore New Year's Romance: Three's a Crowd

David Federman has assembled another collection for us, this one titled "An Ardmore New Year's Romance: Three's a Crowd." He explains:

"How funny that we should spend the one night of the year meant for farewells and welcomes painting the town red because we otherwise might feel blue. I’ve decided to paint the year-end town of Ardmore soft white as in candlelight and snow."

As usual, David has put together a diverse 30-song playlist ranging from Bing's "Let Start the New Year's Right" (which also figures in my collection above) to Duke Ellington to Isham Jones to Morton Gould. The link can be found in the comments to this post.



1944 ad (click to enlarge)

7 comments:

Buster said...

Links:

Christmas with Bing and Dick
https://mega.nz/#!mMkGhCKJ!fBuLR5YE4NoWCV9Kw24WWvaGwyaFPbCQZhjEN8qPdpM

An Ardmore New Year's Romance
https://mega.nz/#!DNsEDQAI!Dg1boa9egflDBuX3djzTtEllThrAgUElmejdO8HQLic

Ernie said...

Many thanks, Buster, I'll give 'em a listen. I would have figured you would have actually owned the V-discs by this point. :)

Scoredaddy said...

thanks Buster and DavidF

David Federman said...

I owe my future as of and past 1977 to Dick Haymes, whose famous recording of "You'll Never Know" I heard in a D.C. restaurant after attending some FTC hearings for a story I was writing on Jewelry Industry regulations. At the time, Haymes was part of a past I didn't know I missed until I heard that record and felt like Saul of Tarsus on the Damascus Road. I left the flesh pots of rock and roll and headed backward in time, then laterally in my own, seeking whatever continuance I could find of the tradition Haymes embodied. He has been a hero ever since--starting from his Decca and then all-too-brief Capitol days to his last ones as a guest on Alec Wilder's NPR program and an Audiophile records artist. I'm so glad you gathered these V-discs because I can fully imagine what they must have meant to the servicemen who heard and maybe bought them. Please find any excuse you can to post more Haymes--and thanks for your constant remembrances of him so far. I've nominated you president of the D.H. Fan Club. Haymes, like his main mentor, Bing Crosby in the 1930s, is unbeatable when it comes to Christmas music--sacred or secular. Oh, for the days when God was a tenable proposition.

Buster said...

David - I love Dick Haymes. I often look at my pile of Haymes 78 and wish I had the will to transfer them. Maybe this year!

Rich said...

Thank you, Buster.

Rich

Kwork said...

Thank you very much! Fabulous!