30 March 2014

Remastered and Reupped, Vol. 1

As time goes by, I've become much better at mastering the recordings I present here. I have been revisiting a number of my earlier transfers with an ear on improving the sonics, and will be presenting the results here from time to time.

Here is the first batch - the links, as always, are in the comments to this post. You can learn more about the LPs themselves by investigating my original posts via the keyword links at right. The new links can be found in the original posts as well.

Let me stress that in all cases, the sound is far superior to the original post.

Alfven - Swedish Rhapsodies 1, 3; Festival Music (early stereo recordings conducted by the composer and Stig Westerberg)

Brahms - Piano Quartet No. 1 (New York Quartet)

Brahms - Violin Concerto (Ida Haendel; LSO - Celibidache)

Copland - Red Pony; Thomson - Acadian Songs and Dances (Little Orchestra Society/Thomas Scherman)

Ellis Larkins - Blues in the Night (a little noisy, but superb playing)

I Love Melvin (soundtrack with Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor)

Louis Alter - Album of Manhattan (Paul Whiteman Concert Orchestra)

Miguelito Valdes - Bim Bam Boom

Morris Stoloff - Music from Movieland

15 comments:

Buster said...

Links (Apple lossless):

Alfven - Swedish Rhapsodies 1, 3; Festival Music
https://mega.co.nz/#!2IUWnDAT!Zy0vJ0RgoRbnhDkqsdiJqiq80nYquJMitfoPsOo82Oc

Brahms - Piano Quartet No. 1 (New York Quartet)
https://mega.co.nz/#!SAcUwbIb!dKXXDUYKHS7kOPawEGoLdQfj-C0t66uWl-bBhmo3jKw

Brahms - Violin Concerto (Ida Haendel; LSO - Celibidache)
https://mega.co.nz/#!fdckhZoL!AxBB5EDT3vv9Rg5G_n3Yfj2AUCAY_Ecwoi4Tqv0I06o

Copland - Red Pony; Thomson - Acadian Songs and Dances (Little Orchestra Society/Thomas Scherman)
https://mega.co.nz/#!fJ8FVAQZ!INX-dlN51f_TAGWZyLezLlZFrYo00JIe7J6y9sAkA18

Ellis Larkins - Blues in the Night
https://mega.co.nz/#!nF1SiYDS!cdhHyU3JlwUC25YzLyTxGF0r9kkbfS1fQBn1QhhDSXQ

I Love Melvin (soundtrack with Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor)
https://mega.co.nz/#!uV8A0KIS!YPlUkEmf-KVJn1J3J-SPHgrAT-Q8lT03bzAVUielbug

Louis Alter - Album of Manhattan (Paul Whiteman Concert Orchestra)
https://mega.co.nz/#!DdFGQZAC!Q1CSyXckaY1Yh58m8W4_8nzotrISaajTcYXG8PP_qM4

Miguelito Valdes - Bim Bam Boom
https://mega.co.nz/#!jVsDxTwT!W1CssSJ5_aFxcb4WdmXBOyXz60Z2IYPGRquvGQdNYaQ

Morris Stoloff - Music from Movieland
https://mega.co.nz/#!2JdUAQ4A!cPSarlFzbM4MosYVedC5GSMxM7Fs9uTpZ-CqiEHmXOs

goldeneye said...

morris stoloff link not working for me...thanks for the great downloads :)

Buster said...

goldeneye - You're welcome. The link works for me. Make sure you get all three lines of it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for re-doing the Alfven album. I believe one or more of the tracks were the very first stereo recording ever made in Sweden, in 1954--as such, it's quite a demo item, and the performances are all superb!

(Retired recording engineer)

centuri said...

so good to rediscover your interesting, rare recordings in remastered sound !! THX Buster

Petteri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Petteri said...

I rarely comment but I love this blog and have DL'd quite a few albums. Now it appears I may have to be content with the earlier versions of Stoloff and Larkins, and entirely without the Alter, though, as Mega only accepts select browsers, unlike all the other services I use (Zippy has worked fine)... I may be the only person with this problem though and I'm not complaining, just voicing this angle. I still might try to find an old, ppc-Mac friendly version of the supported browsers. Or update my equipment through some fortune ;D Thanks for a great site.

Petteri from Finland

Crafty C said...

thank you!

Buster said...

8H - You are correct about the Alfven - the composer led performance was the first stereo recording in that country (in 1954).

Petteri - I know nothing about Mega's functionality on the Mac. I do know it works best via Chrome, Firefox or Opera. I use Mega for these group reups because the links last longer. For regular posts, I use both Mega and Zippyshare. I can post the files you want to Zippyshare a little later.

Thanks to all for the comments!

Buster said...

Ellis Larkins:
http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/93902661/file.html

Louis Alter:
http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/89729150/file.html

Morris Stoloff:
http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/59769063/file.html

Petteri said...

Thank you Buster! I'm sure Mega works fine on new Macs, it's just that I have such "classic" machinery...

Mollygirl#01 said...

Love the Alfven!

Phillip said...

Buster, your generosity is exceeded only by a) your skill in doing these transfers b) your thoughtfulness in re-upping them for your devoted fans. We are ever in your debt.

Buster said...

Phillip - Thanks as always for your generous comments!

Kevin WOlf said...

Thanks for all your hard work and for sharing, Buster!