Conductor Elliot Lawrence has had a remarkably long career. Still active today, there are photos of him leading a youth band in the 1930s (with Buddy DeFranco on clarinet).
Lawrence's career splits neatly into two parts - first, as leader of big bands on the road and on records; and second, as conductor and arranger for Broadway and television, after being enlisted for Bye Bye Birdie by director Gower Champion.
In his band days, Lawrence had some association with jazz, notably using the arrangements of Gerry Mulligan on a number of occasions. But his niche was a soft, danceable variety, reminiscent of the style of Claude Thornhill. Here he enlists the services of several notable arrangers:
Mood Midnight - Al Cohn, composer and arranger
Someone to Watch Over Me - Lawrence
The Pretty One - Lawrence, composer and arranger
Our Love Is Here to Stay - Cohn
Nightfall - Cohn, composer and arranger
Deep Purple - Johnny Mandel
Cheek to Cheek - Frank Hunter
To a Wild Rose - Nelson Riddle
They Didn't Believe Me - Cohn
The Night Is Young and You're So Beautiful - Hunter
Jazz Lullaby - Cohn, composer and arranger
I'll Follow My Secret Heart - Lawrence
As you might expect, the band is composed of New York's finest studio musicians (Cohn, Nick Travis, Urbie Green, etc.). Lawrence had given up his road band a few years earlier.
This was one of Fantasy's first stereo releases. The recordings were made in December 1957.
There was a considerable amount of interest in this disc in my recent poll, so I hope you like it. I have many Lawrence records, and have already transferred one of his first LPs for future presentation.
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
1 month ago

.jpg)

25 comments:
Links (Apple lossless):
https://mega.co.nz/#!iJtCQTKA!KQtDmhpKtbCo4KEB2VWu-xVWGX8qLMmAnV0vzoI-wtc
http://www63.zippyshare.com/v/35418/file.html
Buster,
Thank you so-o much for posting this album. I purchased one of his albums this year, and also created a small "greatest hits" EP of four songs. His biggest hit was "Near You" (9-Best Sellers - October 1947 and my favorite "Don't Leave My Heart Alone" with Cowboy Copas and Rosalind Patton (15-Juke Box - January 1952). If you help to preserve his music by making more it available, it will be much appreciated :-)
I can't find any documentation on his long-time girl singer, Rosalind Patton.
Hir Parade - You are certainly welcome. I think it's fascinating that he recorded with country singer Cowboy Copas. I think this was one of Lawrence's only records for King.
Rosalind Patton (Roselyn Mae Piccurelli) was a high school friend of Lawrence's and sang with him even when they both were in school. The boy singer in that band was Al Alberts of the Four Aces. I will be posting a Lawrence LP with several Patton vocals.
This is wonderful. Thank you, Buster! I was one who spoke up the last time Elliot Lawrence came up here. I'm a great admirer of his theatrical work (and he still conducts all the Tony award shows).
It's been confirmed recently that he provided orchestrations, uncredited, for some numbers for shows he conducted. (This sort of subcontracting being standard practice.) For instance, "An English Teacher" in BYE BYE BIRDIE.
I'm going to be listening to this with great pleasure.
JAC - Lawrence made his first appearance on stage in 1929, so he has been active professionally for 85 years. Amazing.
I have been working professionally myself for 46 years. I can't imagine another 40 tacked on.
Growing up in Philly (I'm 77), I recall Elliot Lawrence as the son of Stan Lee Broza, a showman who created the Horn & Hardart Children's Hour, a show that introduced Eddie Fisher, among others...thanks for making this album available.
I don't know which I'm enjoying more, the record or the very interesting comments above. Together, they've made my morning - many thanks to all.
The sound quality is absolutely first rate BTW.
Wonderful post thank you,you don't have Music for Trapping do you?
Thank you very much!
Nice album. Thanks!
Buster, thanks! Lawrence is new to me, and this is a great LP, so I will be looking for more on my record-buying excursions.
Fantastic interpretations of big hits. THX so much !
And again a gem! Quality and stereosound for 1957 is very good. I am happy! Thanks Buster
Thanks, Buster. Elliott Lawrence is indeed alive and well, and has been contracting the Tony Awards orchestra on Broadway since 'forever.' I look forward to this; salutations!! If you're one of the 12 people in America who watches the Tonys, you're hearing his band.
Thanks, everyone, for the wonderful comments!
dougR - I am not one of the 12, being strictly an antiquarian, but my wife is!
I like dancing, and I like music, so I'm going to give this a try.
Thanks, Buster.
Buster, this album is beyond reproach - I had one EL album before; your post spurred me to further augment my collection!
Hello Buster
Thanks.
Thank you, Buster! Had no idea EL was still active and conducting the orchestra of my favorite award show. If you have his 1957 Jazz Goes Broadway album I would love to hear it.
Hi Mindy!
I don't think I have that one, sorry! But I do have others that will be appearing here.
By the way, just posted a handful of soundtrack and show reups, in much better sound.
thank you for this album of arrangements. i don't know this musician so i'm looking forward. -alfred venison
Thank you!
I went to know Lawrence through his "Plays Gerry Mulligan arrangements" (Fantasy), like many others I suppose. Unfortunately, I think it's the only one which has been digitalized for CD. And I read that you have many others Lawrence records !!! So,please, Buster, help yourself and go ahead !!! lol l!!!.It would be wonderful !!!
Elliot Lawrence is most appreciated, Thanks Buster, great site and generous links.
Post a Comment