12 March 2014

Are Any of These of Interest?

I transfer more recordings than I actually present here on the blog, for a number of reasons: I may have lost interest in the item, didn't get around to doing the scans, or don't feel like writing about the LP in question.

It occurs to me that some of you may be interested in these records. I have given up trying to understand what appeals to people. Some of the most unlikely posts have been among the most popular - such as the songs of Roger Quilter or popular organ pieces played by Virgil Fox.

So here is the list, in no particular order - please let me know in the comments if these are appealing. I'll make one or more available.

Deems Taylor - The Portrait of a Lady; Paul Creston - Partita (ARS Orchestra/Hendl)

Bob Carroll - Camden EPs of "Today's Top Hits"

Curtain Going Up - Boston Pops/Fielder medleys of show tunes

Greatest Western Hits - Carl Smith, Lefty Frizzell, Ray Price

Quincy Porter - Symphony No. 1; Concerto Concertante; Dance in Three Time (Concerts Colonne/composer)

Hymns and Sacred Songs - Cowboy Copas

Dream On - Dance On - Elliot Lawrence Orchestra

Mozart - Symphony No. 36 (VPO/Böhm) and 29 (SRO/Maag)

Modern American Music - Meredith Willson Concert Orchestra (short pieces commissioned from Gould, Arlen, Grofe, Ellington, Alter and others)

Rachmaninoff - Isle of the Dead; Vaughan Williams - Tallis Fantasia (Minneapolis/Mitropoulos)

Noël Coward - I'll See You Again (1954 recordings)

Mexican Hayride - Original Cast

New Music from Old Erin (by Brian Boydell, Seoirse Bodley, and Frederick May) - Radio Eireann Symphony/Milan Horvat

Sean O'Casey - Juno and the Paycock (Cyril Cusack, Siobhan McKenna)

Szell conducts Mendelssohn - Midsummer Night's Dream (PSONY) and Symphony No. 4 (Cleveland)

38 comments:

Bill Reed said...

Mexican Hayride perchance?

Buster said...

Hi Bill - You bet.

vilstef said...

Hi Buster, The ones that interest me the most are the Fiedler show tunes, the Mozart symphonies and the Rachmanioff

Byrd said...

Buster, I would appreciate having
(1) Deems Taylor & Paul Creston
(2) Quincy Porter
(3) Meredith Wilson Concert Orch.

Buster said...

Hi folks - we have a diversity of interests here. I should have foreseen that!

David Federman said...

Besides the Paul Creston and Quincy Porter, I've got to urge a post of the Elliot Lawrence and the Mitropolous. Or, better yet, just follow your first instincts and post them all.

Buster said...

David - Ha! Probably the best idea, but I am too slow moving to do that!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your music selections (I admit, I mostly like the Christmas stuff)... I enjoy reading your blogs...

let me thrill to the possibility of Juno and the Paycock...

thanks for all you do... very very much appreciated...

nogrub said...

Sounds great - let's go with the Elliot Lawrence orch. please and thank you once again, Roger.

coppinsuk said...

Hi Buster,

They all have some appeal - I'm prepared to wait upon each surprise that you upload, however the Minneapolis/Mitropoulos (Rachmaninov/VW) would be very much welcomed sooner then later.

Your blog is always "a box of delights" and it is very much appreciated.

Cheers from across the pond.

Douglas (UK)

earlybird said...

Thanks for all your posts. I'd like to see:
Mexican Hayride
Greatest Western Hits.
Thanks in advance.

John said...

All look great, but these appeal to me most. Thank you!

Deems Taylor - The Portrait of a Lady; Paul Creston - Partita (ARS Orchestra/Hendl)

Bob Carroll - Camden EPs of "Today's Top Hits"

Curtain Going Up - Boston Pops/Fielder medleys of show tunes

Greatest Western Hits - Carl Smith, Lefty Frizzell, Ray Price

Hymns and Sacred Songs - Cowboy Copas

Dream On - Dance On - Elliot Lawrence Orchestra



Modern American Music - Meredith Willson Concert Orchestra (short pieces commissioned from Gould, Arlen, Grofe, Ellington, Alter and others)

Rachmaninoff - Isle of the Dead; Vaughan Williams - Tallis Fantasia (Minneapolis/Mitropoulos)

Noël Coward - I'll See You Again (1954 recordings)

Mexican Hayride - Original Cast

Johnny

John said...

All look great, but these appeal to me most. Thank you!

Deems Taylor - The Portrait of a Lady; Paul Creston - Partita (ARS Orchestra/Hendl)

Bob Carroll - Camden EPs of "Today's Top Hits"

Curtain Going Up - Boston Pops/Fielder medleys of show tunes

Greatest Western Hits - Carl Smith, Lefty Frizzell, Ray Price

Hymns and Sacred Songs - Cowboy Copas

Dream On - Dance On - Elliot Lawrence Orchestra



Modern American Music - Meredith Willson Concert Orchestra (short pieces commissioned from Gould, Arlen, Grofe, Ellington, Alter and others)

Rachmaninoff - Isle of the Dead; Vaughan Williams - Tallis Fantasia (Minneapolis/Mitropoulos)

Noël Coward - I'll See You Again (1954 recordings)

Mexican Hayride - Original Cast

Johnny

Fabioromano said...

Hi Buster,

thanks for all past posts (especially those dedicated to 20th century music). Of the list you published, I would like you to post the following items:

the Paul Creston Partita

the Quincy Porter

and the Modern American Music.

Thank uyou so much for your work!

Fabio, from Rome, Italy

DonHo57 said...

I appreciate all you share Buster. I would be interested in...

Quincy Porter

Modern American Music

Rachmaninoff - Isle of the Dead; Vaughan Williams - Tallis Fantasia (Minneapolis/Mitropoulos)

Szell conducts Mendelssohn

Thanks, and cheers!

Unknown said...

Ditto!

musmad said...

Hi and thanks. I think Juno and the Paycock would be a surprise hit and it is something I have longed to hear; otherwise I join others in wishing for Meredith Willson and stand alone, so far, in voting for Noel Coward. Your blog is great.

Pablo Varela said...

Hi Buster, for me are very interesting the following recordings:

Quincy Porter - Symphony No. 1; Concerto Concertante; Dance in Three Time (Concerts Colonne/composer)

Mozart - Symphony No. 36 (VPO/Böhm) and 29 (SRO/Maag)

Rachmaninoff - Isle of the Dead; Vaughan Williams - Tallis Fantasia (Minneapolis/Mitropoulos)

Szell conducts Mendelssohn - Midsummer Night's Dream (PSONY) and Symphony No. 4 (Cleveland)

Thank you.

Buster said...

Hi everyone - I think we have votes for everything but the Irish composers. Quite a few interested in Quincy Porter (which is really rather dull). I will get busy on some of these!

PaulS said...

Deems Taylor - The Portrait of a Lady; Paul Creston - Partita (ARS Orchestra/Hendl)

Bob Carroll - Camden EPs of "Today's Top Hits"

Curtain Going Up - Boston Pops/Fielder medleys of show tunes

Quincy Porter - Symphony No. 1; Concerto Concertante; Dance in Three Time (Concerts Colonne/composer)

Modern American Music - Meredith Willson Concert Orchestra


Noël Coward - I'll See You Again (1954 recordings)

Mexican Hayride - Original Cast

New Music from Old Erin

Sean O'Casey - Juno and the Paycock

Any or all of these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your great posts!

centuri said...

I am listening mostly "classical" music (which is also my job...) , so actually all the titles I would love to hear accordlingly. But, frankly, I am a big fan of your blog that I follow everyday.....you made me discover so many artists (unknown for me), whatever their musical genre is and I do THANK you for this........so.......all in all, the full list of new posts you mention would interest me......

Anonymous said...

I would love the Noel Coward.

Ernie said...

I always liked Curtain Going Up, mostly because I think the cover is by Mozelle Thompson. Otherwise, I defer to your good judgement. :)

Buster said...

Hi folks, again, thanks for the comments!

Ernie - You're right, the arist is Mozelle Thompson.

Graham said...

I'd like to second this proposal.

Grandtier Box said...

I would love the Hymns and Sacred Songs.

jserraglio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jserraglio said...

Thanks! Even the LPs I already have, such as the Mitropolos and Szell I would want to hear in your transfers:
Deems Taylor - The Portrait of a Lady; Paul Creston - Partita (ARS Orchestra/Hendl)
Curtain Going Up - Boston Pops/Fielder medleys of show tunes
Quincy Porter - Symphony No. 1; Concerto Concertante; Dance in Three Time (Concerts Colonne/composer)
Mozart - Symphony No. 36 (VPO/Böhm) and 29 (SRO/Maag)
Modern American Music - Meredith Willson Concert Orchestra
Rachmaninoff - Isle of the Dead; Vaughan Williams - Tallis Fantasia (Minneapolis/Mitropoulos)
Noël Coward - I'll See You Again (1954 recordings)
Mexican Hayride - Original Cast
Sean O'Casey - Juno and the Paycock (Cyril Cusack, Siobhan McKenna)
Szell conducts Mendelssohn - MND and Symphony 4

ColinAH said...

Yes - please, please, please! (or should that be 'pleas'' !)

Kevin WOlf said...

Modern American Music - Meredith Willson. Many thanks!

Nigel said...

The Szell, Fiedler & Coward would be great! I live in France and open your site once a week and am never disappointed.

Thank you

Nigel

Bill said...

Dream On - Dance On - Elliot Lawrence Orchestra would be nice to have.
Thanks

Dwight Casey said...

Sean O' Casey please -- those spoken word recordings were sold mostly to libraries and were very likely to be trashed when technology passed them by.

Thanks

danair said...

Do you have any Elliot Lawrence recordings ? Thanks.

Steinar said...

I just recently started following your blog - I have found a lot of nice shares - a lot of links are still alive. Thanks for the nice music!

As for the selections above, I wouldn't mind seeing a MegaShare uploaded (with all the records included).

Eric said...

Here is my list of priorities, which may not be yours or anyone else's. You always surprise and even delight with some of your posts so whatever you decide is fine with me. Thanks for all the obscure music and performances.

Deems Taylor - The Portrait of a Lady; Paul Creston - Partita (ARS Orchestra/Hendl)

Quincy Porter - Symphony No. 1; Concerto Concertante; Dance in Three Time (Concerts Colonne/comp

Dream On - Dance On - Elliot Lawrence Orchestra

Modern American Music - Meredith Willson Concert Orchestra (short pieces commissioned from Gould, Arlen, Grofe, Ellington, Alter and others)

Rachmaninoff - Isle of the Dead; Vaughan Williams - Tallis Fantasia (Minneapolis/Mitropoulos)

Noël Coward - I'll See You Again (1954 recordings)

Mexican Hayride - Original Cast

New Music from Old Erin (by Brian Boydell, Seoirse Bodley, and Frederick May) - Radio Eireann Symphony/Milan Horvat

Sean O'Casey - Juno and the Paycock (Cyril Cusack, Siobhan McKenna)


David said...

Any of the ARS recordings would be extremely welcome - they are so rare.

From the list above I would particularly like to have:

Modern American Music - Meredith Willson Concert Orchestra (short pieces commissioned from Gould, Arlen, Grofe, Ellington, Alter and others)

Quincy Porter - Symphony No. 1; Concerto Concertante; Dance in Three Time (Concerts Colonne/composer)

Buster said...

I am going to post all of them (eventually) since they are of interest to people. I uploaded the Deems Taylor - Paul Creston ARS several days ago.