But the exercise was not without merit - it elicited far more comments than anything else I have ever published here! So I am going to go ahead and share various items as I finish them off. I started off this AM with a post on my other blog of two EPs by a fairly obscure vocalist, Bob Carroll. I had thought that only I would remember him, but no, a few of you did ask for his work.
![]() |
| Taylor in 1931 |
If Taylor's name lives on today, it may be primarily as the narrator of Disney's Fantasia. But he was a formidable presence on the American music scene for several decades, as critic, composer and broadcaster.
"The Portrait of a Lady" is an attractive suite from 1925 that veers between Delius and light music. Taylor, in his capacity as the representative of the New York World, reviewed the premiere himself, commenting, "The audience, probably composed of the composer's relatives, greeted the piece with what seemed to us highly disproportionate cordiality."
![]() |
| Creston |
These performances by an anonymous orchestra led by Walter Hendl are better than some of the ARS recordings heard here. Michael Gray's discography claims that the orchestra is actually the Vienna Symphony, and dates the recording to sessions in June 1952. The sound is very good.




11 comments:
Links (Apple lossless):
http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/81738938/file.html
https://mega.co.nz/#!DN8Q3Caa!K3kcZ3s-fuCh-2K4M9rlkUkqJXhqpvJ8tViMMXFR-jg
Thank you for this. Any ARS recording is welcome since the repertoire, with rare exception, is rare.
I studied composition with Creston and some lessons, especially concerning notation, I still take to heart.
Might you have Creston's String Quartet played by the Hollywood Quartet? If you could post it, it would be appreciated.
Hi Eric,
Thanks so much for your comment. I am particularly fond of the Hollywood Quartet and have many of their records - but not that one, I don't believe. However, I think it has been reissued.
Thank you Buster for posting this. Looking forward to it.
BTW, the Creston SQ / Hollywood SQ (Testament CD issue) is currently on sale new at Presto Classical for $13.60 -- or used on Amazon for under $10.
I, too, appreciate any ARS recordings, and the fact it includes a Creston work makes it doubly nice. Thank you!
Thank you for making this available. Now if you can just advise me where to find a good free (No adware) Apple Lossless to Mp3 or WAV converter?
Wonderful recordings from a GREAT series! I am new in following your work...thank you for your efforts...kind regards!
GT
Hello everyone - thanks as always for your comments and kind words!
Graham - iTunes will play the files as well as convert them into mp3 and wav formats. I use foobar to change formats, but many other software packages will do it.
Hi Buster, very interesting recording, I didn't remember how much I like Creston music, I use to listen when I was at high school and I went to a Library and ask for records with his works. Use to listen to many Bloch, Hanson, Harris, Copland in those days. Thank you for sharing this.
Someone once posted this on rec.music.classical.recordings: a live, stereo taping done in concert by the Eastman Philharmonia in 1970, taken down in pretty decent stereo sound from a VOA broadcast. Hendl was good enough to be Bruno Walter's assistant cond. with the NYP, and Fritz Reiner's in Chicago: and here he really shows why! The audience seems ecstatic at the conclusion.
https://www64.zippyshare.com/v/8i82lO4j/file.html
(58 MB mp3 file, not zipped)
This turns into a pumpkin at midnight, in 30 days!
8H Haggis
Post a Comment