02 June 2010

Ellis Larkins Plays Harold Arlen


Ellis Larkins is best known as an accompanist for Ella Fitzgerald and other singers, but he was a formidable artist on his own. This, his first solo LP, came soon after his first, classic Gershwin album with Ella. In it, his understated but sophisticated style is well matched with the melodies of Harold Arlen.

Larkins is a melodic improviser, with a sure sense of where he is going at all times. Allied to his strong rhythmic impulse, this gives his performances a pleasing sense of inevitability.

Larkins went on to a long career as a highly esteemed accompanist and solo artist in the clubs. He also made a number of records with another soft-spoken artist, cornetist Ruby Braff.

These songs were recorded in New York in June 1951 and January 1952. The sound was dead and distant; I have addressed this so that the results are a much better representation of what a piano actually sounds like. This was done at the cost of raising the noise level on what was a typically awful Decca pressing, so be prepared for some background noise. It's worth it, I think, to hear Ellis Larkins in his prime in great music.

19 comments:

Scoredaddy said...

wow, you amaze me with the rarities you come up with... never saw this one before! what a sensitive and tasteful musician Larkins was! An of course, Arlen is one of my favorite composers. Thanks a million!

AAUndercover said...

I very much enjoyed his playing on the Pure Ella album.

deGallo said...

Thank you. I very much enjoyed this record. I was wondering what software you used? You did a very nice job. I don't know if it would work in this case or not, but, do you have deNoise that is the companion program with Click Repair. If so you might try deNoise first then declick. Then a little EQ if necessary. There is a very nice Manual with deNoise that shows how to set it up. I have found that it does not degrade the music if used appropriately. This is meant only as constructive suggestions as your rips are very good. Just something to try, possibly in the future. Thanks

Buster said...

@deGallo,

I do use deNoise, but at very low settings. Otherwise it creates the dreaded underwater burbling effect.

On this pressing, the HF information was suppressed - when I brought it up, it also brought up the noise floor, which was fairly high to begin with. But I would rather hear the appropriate frequency response at the cost of a little noise than to kill the noise and the music at the same time.

I'll have to try using deNoise before ClickRepair and see how that works. Right now, I do it at the end of the process.

Thanks for the suggestions - I love to hear from people on such matters (or any others!).

deGallo said...

Yes, I agree about needing very low settings. I only use it as a last resort. Something else to try that I have had success with is EQing the HF beforehand. Sometimes what works in some cases won't work in others and vice versa. Every piece of vinyl is different. That is what I enjoy about digitizing...the challenge. You have a very nice blog.

swingingduck said...

Wow, Ellis Larkins plays Harold Arlen!
I've never heard of this album.
Many thanks Buster.

jeronimo said...

I never heard of this album either but I'm looking forward to hear it, background noise or not!
Everything I ever heard by this man is pure beauty. An excellent accompanist ànd a great soloist!

Thank you very very much!

j.

Jeffinprov said...

I own this LP, and it has always been a deep frustration to know that the original session tapes were probably as well-recorded as the Ella/Ellis sessions. Now, of course, we'll never know, since those tapes probably were destroyed in the Universal Studio fire. All of his Decca work was wonderful.

Buster said...

@ jeffinprov,

The frequency response on the issued pressing is abysmal - almost like an acoustic recording or something taped off AM radio.

GP49 said...

I enjoyed the music on this download. I was able to reduce the distortion on the piano by processing the tracks using MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab, and setting the declicking and decrackling to "Strong." A setting of "Strong" for the DeHisser also had a decent result. Fortunately these clean-up measures did not result in the dreaded Digital Birdies, as can happen when too-broadband or too-agressive noise reduction can cause problems.

Buster said...

@ GP49,

Interesting - I'll have to try something like that myself.

Jim SATX said...

any chance you coulf re post this one?

DonHo57 said...

This is an incredible LP and I thank you or the re-up, Buster!

Buster said...

DonHo - Glad you like it!

MusicalGuy38 said...

Thanks for this gem. Very nice and subtle piano playing, never over-interpreted to showcase his skills. And very well-restored. Me too I'd rather have a high level of presence in the sound rather than a the sound being drowned in noise reduction.

ale55 said...

GrrrrrrEAT Post !!!! Excellent ... A real gem - Grazie !

Otis Foster said...

Buster - I'm a late entry, the link is dead so is there any chance for a reup?

This is a real rarity. I heard Ellis live many years ago at the old Carnegie Tavern, around the corner from the Hall. The silence in the room was other-worldly. Ellis was known to stop playing at the sound of voices, glasses, etc., stare at the malefactor and tell him he and the audience would have to wait for more music until the noise had subsided.

Still, the beauty of his playing was overwhelming.

Buster said...

Otis - Thanks for your note! Mega changed the link for some unknown reason. Here is a new link:

https://mega.nz/#!yQshSDiB!cdhHyU3JlwUC25YzLyTxGF0r9kkbfS1fQBn1QhhDSXQ

cvllos said...

I'm late too. But good music, great interpreters never say goodbye. Thank you!