
Louis Alter was a fairly well-known songwriter who made a specialty of Manhattan-themed music. This 10-inch LP collects several of those items as presented by Paul Whiteman's Concert Orchestra.
Whiteman had recorded Alter's first New York piece, Manhattan Serenade, in 1928, and it became quite popular. So Alter continued to write music inspired by the big city, to lesser effect, although all the items are attractive and redolent of other music of the period, including Gershwin.
Decca issued this particular LP in 1949, but I suspect the recordings were made about a decade earlier, although I haven't been able to confirm that. Whiteman made Gershwin recordings with the concert orchestra for Decca at that time, and these arrangements sound more like the 1930s than the late 1940s. I would guess that Decca reissued them later because of the popularity of Gordon Jenkins' Manhattan Tower.
The arrangements themselves are the work of George Leeman, who spent most of his career as an arranger for CBS, working 12 years with Arthur Godfrey. As for Alter, these days he is perhaps best known as the composer of Nina Never Knew, My Kinda Love, You Turned the Tables on Me, and Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans. The download includes a vintage Billboard bio on him.
Sound is good - very much worth hearing if you like Gershwin and similar music of the period.

12 comments:
What can I say, other than thank you once again! There's something magical about this music - I suppose it was the sound of the radio in the background when I was a child.
Thanks Ronan - glad you liked it.
Thanks for another beautiful rip.
I'm enjoying Side Street in Gotham as I write this.
Thanks Doug - good to hear from you.
Thanks, Buster, for another fascinating album. A query: In the "with lyics added" version of Alter's Manhattan Serenade made famous by Jo Stafford and the Dorsey band, is anyone else puzzled by the line "the lights that spelled your name"...? Unless he was the owner of Gimbel's, or the star of a Broadway show, the likelihood of our singer seeing her beloved's name in lights during "that night" in Manhattan seems rather unlikely. If anyone can shed any light (pardon the pun)...
Philip,
Hmm - now I am going to have to find that record! (I definitely am no expert on Dorsey's recordings.)
I listened to this as a drove down Sunset Boulevard through Beverly Hills this evening. It made the drive seem ever so much more sophisticated.
@ Gigh-Fi,
Great! I am delighted that you chose Alter rather than the 77 Sunset Strip music or Riot on Sunset Strip to accompany your journey.
Buster, you were right about the decade earlier, I found the original 78 rpm set, pic here:
http://pictures.abebooks.com/BETWEENTHECOVERS/11158477984.jpg
Some details here:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/album-of-manhattan-metropolitan-impressions/oclc/45626828?referer=di&ht=edition
I realize you know many 10" LP's on your site were originally released as 78 rpm sets. Maybe I should recycle your discoveries with older covers on a "Big 78 rpm album" blog... just kidding. But there's an idea, I haven't bumped into a 78 album blog so far.
Anyway, I'm listening to this album and it sounds wonderful, these treasures deserve to survive in whichever form. Thanks again for everything.
This album is AWESOME!! Thanks Buster for yet another fascinating and insightful share!! Much appreciated!!
New link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!uN9nmQKB!Q1CSyXckaY1Yh58m8W4_8nzotrISaajTcYXG8PP_qM4
Post a Comment