
We've examined a couple of records in which the jazz and classical worlds came together to produce something new. Now here is what happens when a renowned classical pianist shows up at a jazz shrine to play bop.
The pianist is Friedrich Gulda, the place is Birdland and the time is 1956. And the results could hardly be more successful.
Gulda was one of those remarkable artists who was equally proficient at Mozart and Monk. Here he and several well known jazzmen (see back cover below) perform Gulda's own compositions along with Night in Tunisia and Bernie's Tune. Gulda could not sound more at home (except he does not play the Night in Tunisia theme as the man wrote it).
Gulda, who was Viennese, won the Geneva International Competition in 1946, made his first recordings a few years later, and was already well known as a classical artist when this date was taped. At the time of these records, critics tended to lump him together with his fellow Viennese pianists Jörg Demus and Paul Badura-Skoda - but I would have a hard time imagining either of them coming out with Gulda's incendiary improvisation on Bernie's Tune.
Gulda had an unorthodox streak that later led him to mix jazz and classical pieces on the same program, to refuse awards, and to dress casually for concerts. Once he supposedly performed in the nude. I'm not sure if this improved the musical results or not - but in his honor I took my pants off while I dubbed this record, and it sounds pretty good!
Birdland's Pee Wee Marquette introduces him as "Frederick" Gulda. It could be that Gulda was using an anglicized version of his first name then, or it could be that Gulda didn't pay off Pee Wee. Legend has it that Marquette would deliberately mispronounce the names of artists who didn't tip him. Fred - pay the two dollars!
NEW LINK (remastered)

17 comments:
Too...much...information...there...
Yes, and I almost scorched my big 10-inch record with my laptop!
Great post. Really looking forward to it. Thanks.
I'm guessing that...um... Buster has an unorthodox streak in him too?
I listened to this on the way to work this morning and really enjoyed it. Gulda sounds very natural in this idiom.
Now THAT is a rarity!!
Double bag that disc and keep it somewhere safe! I can't wait to hear your rip.
cheers
S
@ Gigh-Fi - He's very convincing, isn't he?
@ Squirrel - You will like this, I think. Believe it or not, this is available on CD, as I discovered since ripping it!
wow, this really looks fascinating! I always enjoy the fusion of different styles
Hi Buster: I just had a chance to listen to this. Very, very nice. This one definitely goes on Cd!
Larry - I am so glad you classical guys like this! Next thing you know, I will have you listening to C&W.
Well, let's see, I'd gladly listen to Tammy Wynette, and Patsy Cline and Willie Nelson are among some of my favorite performers in any genre. But hard core C&W: You might have to convince me, but I can enjoy all sorts of music -- albeit some in smaller doses than others. Make a C&W suggestion and I'll take up the challenge!
Many thanks Buster for share this gem!
How can I mail you an personal consultation?
Let me now. In my profile it's my mail.
Gracias otra vez.
Gulda @ Birdland
remember seeing a same titled recent cd a few years ago in the stores...anyway never heard him. Only heard one of his tunes as played by the great Enrique Villegas...and this set has Nick Stabulas, a drummer I appreciate and whose name always sounds "funny" to me and the great Idrees Sulieman...Somehow I'm rapidly intruiged by names...anyway...can't wait to hear...
thank's for sharing!!!
j.
Wonderful arrangements and solos: Gulda had the good taste to call just the bests: Phil Woods, Cleveland, Seldom, Idress,....
Thank you for posting.
Hello,
The link is not working anymore... could you re-upload?
Many thanks,
Erwin
New link (remastered - Apple lossless format):
https://mega.co.nz/#!XZEVUCBA!D2s63yp2RANdFoSdp3Na1QMcqVgxTW7ac3WTb8U2eE0
Thanks!
extra!
Post a Comment