28 February 2010

Paul Weston


The recent Matt Dennis post elicited some compliments for Paul Weston's arrangements, so I decided to bring forth one of his first LPs, called Music for Easy Listening.

Weston certainly didn't invent "easy listening" - records that are recognizably from that vague genre go way back. The numbers in this collection are far more varied in style than you would find in most albums of its type. Also, Weston, with his dance band background, generally establishes a firm pulse in his arrangements. It's not just swoop and swoon here. I wonder, though, how many albums had been called "easy listening" before this one came out.

This 1950 LP compiles Weston singles from the previous few years. Three items have soloists, identified on the original 78s but not on the album. They are pianist George Greeley in Swedish Rhapsody, Skitch Henderson at the keyboard in Full Moon and Empty Arms, and violinist Paul Nero with his composition The Hot Canary.

The latter is one of the most successful novelty instrumentals of all time - in my opinion - and this is the first version. The tune became so popular that at one time in 1951, Capitol had three versions on the market, all with Nero fiddling - this one, a vocal version and a Nero LP with a small instrumental group (which I may present here later on).

According to the label, Full Moon and Empty Arms was written by Buddy Kaye and Ted Mossman. If Sergei Rachmaninoff hadn't died a few years before this tune made its appearance, this might have finished him off. Considering that Rachmaninoff wrote the melody, Weston did the arrangement and there are no words, one wonders what Buddy and Ted contributed. Not even as much as Skitch, I'd say, who adds some pianistic curlicues that Rachmaninoff hadn't contemplated.

Weston these days is known best for being the husband of and arranger for Jo Stafford, but he had a very long and successful career on his own - and was the music director for Capitol when these sides were made. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of him where he didn't have the same grim look on his face. He bears something of an resemblance to actor Wally Cox (below). Looker or not, he made many fine records, and this LP provides a good sampling.

24 comments:

GilinAZ said...

Buster..."The Swedish Rhapsody", was composed by Charles Williams. The opening was made into a popular tune called "My World Is In Your Arms". "The Hot Canary" was composed by Florian Zabach, who had a popular version of his own, on violin. I remember when he had a show on TV.

Gil

Phillip said...

May I jump in here to say that the Swedish Rhapsody is based on the Midsummer Vigil by the Swedish composer Hugo Alfven? I believe the best-selling recording of the piece was by Percy Faith.

Buster said...

Hi Gil - Zabach did have a hit record with it in 1951, but Nero was the composer and had the first version, which I think is on this record. Swedish Rhapsody is by Charles Wildman. This always confuses me because there is another Swedish Rhapsody (actually more than one) by Huge Alfven. His Swedish Rhapsody No. 1 was turned into a pop hit by Percy Faith, I believe.

Buster said...

Philip - Our posts crossed. There are two different Swedish Rhapsodies that became hits - this one (by Wildman) and the other one (by Alfven). I am very familiar with the latter, and this ain't it. You will agree with me when you listen to it (I hope, or this exchange may go on for some time).

mel said...

Very strange. I have 15 albums by Paul Weston, one of which is a CD compilation on Columbia titled “The Original Music For Easy Listening”. You can see it here: http://www.amazon.com/Music-Listening-Original-Weston-Orchestra/dp/B0000010KC

It’s certainly not the same as the Capitol LP you posted here.

So this will be my 16th. Thank you very much!

RecordCollector said...

Greatpost Buster, thanks!

anonymousremains said...

http://akidfor2farthings.blogspot.com/2010/02/johnnie-ray-live-1954.html
do you want this 10" for your blog,its quite well worn but i can send you the wavs to work your magic on if you do
: )

Scoredaddy said...

I always have enjoyed Weston's work. Thanks Buster.

Buster said...

Hi all -thanks for the comments.

@anonymousremains - Yes, very interested. I haven't seen that one before. I wonder if it was released in the US. Thanks!

David Federman said...

Buster, Except for the (to me) horridly inappropriate "Hot Canary," this is a very enjoyable collection of mostly classical and light-classical theme adaptations. Personally, I could do without all those rampaging arpeggios in "Swedish Rhapsody" which remind me of a fountain display in Miami Beach or Las Vegas. And I hate it when arrangers feels the need to "voluptuize" music as on "Full Moon and Empty Arms." But otherwise Weston is very respectful of the songs. You owe it to yourself to listen to some of the original versions of "Moonlight Madonna" released when this song was introduced with lyrics by Paul Francis Webster in 1933. I admit listening with trepidation to the Etude because I recently heard a sublime performance of this piano piece by Sviatoslav Richter. But Weston is quite tasteful. It is truly a glorious melody. Who is the briefly featured trombone player on "Laura"? His legato is superb. WIll you ever post Rolfe Lieberman's Concerto for Jazz Band and Orchestra--one of the biggest rarities in the Fritz Reiner catalog? Thanks again for going all the places your wonderful taste takes you.

Paul said...

This brings to mind the Paul Weston recordings when he featured his side men like Clyde Hurley on trumpet, or Matty Matlock or Babe Russin. Do you have any of those albums?

Ernie said...

Somewhere I have a Columbia LP called House Party. (I don't think it's part of the earlier 10" series of the same name.) It's two sides pretending to be a live party, one on the East Coat and one on the West Coast. The West Coast side is hosted by Paul Weston & Jo Stafford and in a picture inside the gatefold, they are answering the door as you arrive at their home, and Paul Weston is grinning. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. I've hunted for half an hour but I can't find it in here. Perhaps you have it somewhere in your archives, which seem to be a bit better organized than my own. I remember the LP in question was on CD, so I never ripped it.

Buster said...

David - I don't know who the trombonist is on Laura, unfortunately - I had to dig to find out who the soloists were on the other tunes! I forgot about Lieberman - I do have that, and I'll try to remember to unearth it for you. (Keep reminding me if it doesn't appear - I have been very busy at work lately and am forgetting most everything.)

Paul - I certainly have seen those records you cite; I'd have to check to see if I have them, but I would be surprised if I don't.

Ernie - I do have that Columbia House Party LP, but locating it may be another story. The situation is that my LP collection is almost completely alphabetized - but various artists LPs are not. Finding where I stashed something like that can be a frustrating exercise.

GilinAZ said...

Buster...yes, it was Wildman. Charles Williams, I believe, composed the theme for the movie "The Apartment"...rest of score by Adolph Deutsch. Do you have a recording of the two piano team Rawicz and Laundauer, along with Mantovani and orchestra, containing "Dream of Olwen", "Cornish Rhapsody" (Hubert Bath), "Warsaw Concerto" (Addinsell), "Legend Of The Glass Mountain (Rota) etc.? I think it's a London LP.

Gil

Phillip said...

Thanks, Buster, very happy to stand corrected.

anonymousremains said...

here's the Johnnie Ray Wavs with covers

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C3G1ESKV

: )

Buster said...

@ anonymousremains,

Thanks so much for this! It will take me a little time to get to - I'm out of town all week.

JG said...

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

JG

JG said...

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

JG

StealthMan said...

I recently got all-excited to hear more Paul Weston lounge titles and here there's one on Buster's blog.

Thanks for providing this. If you have more of his mono stuff, I'd love them to join the queue of stuff to go up on your site.

Thanks!

Buster said...

Oh, I have many, many Weston records!

sturgeonjohnp said...

Please reup Paul Weston / Easy Listening

Buster said...

New link - remastered version (Apple lossless):

https://mega.co.nz/#!LM9WwaLL!Irjs0WMH3f57hWeYZwzjGt9E45ekUrcY0v3jrBIvLvo

Eden78 said...

Thank You