18 February 2010

Will Friedwald Stops By

Although I have been a record collector since I was just a Little Wonder, I am always looking for new artists and musics to investigate. The result is the fairly wide and eclectic taste displayed on this blog. One of the strongest influences on me has been the music writer and producer Will Friedwald. When his book Jazz Singing came out in 1990, I was not only amazed at how much I agreed with Will's taste, I was amazed at how many singers unknown to me he was touting. I quickly began looking into some of the singers he suggested. They included Jackie Paris, David Allyn and Ronnie Deauville, all of whom have been featured here.

So I owe a debt of gratitude to Will - and I am sure many others do, as well. Just recently he stopped by this blog - and had nice things to say about it, I am pleased to say. Amazingly I was able to introduce him to a few Jackie Paris sides he hadn't heard and then supply an obscure Billy Eckstine record he was looking for.

Speaking of Jackie Paris, Will is sharing with us (courtesy of his friend Ed Noble) a wonderful Paris record - the jazz version of the Broadway show Oh Captain! Here, Jackie shares vocals with Moody Marilyn Moore, with the instrumentals supplied by such artists as Coleman Hawkins. I can't recommend this too highly - Paris' version of All The Time is one of my favorite vocal records.

Thanks, Will, for the record and for the inspiration.

NEW LINK

12 comments:

mel said...

Thanks very much - I am a big fan of the late Tony Scott, having seen and heard him in 1957. His presence here makes this a must for me.

Scoredaddy said...

Will Friedwald's book on Sinatra is THE bible of Sinatra recording history.

AAUndercover said...

What a thrill.

Friedwald's Jazz Singing set me off learning about jazz vocalists as well.

At one point I used to take it with me to garage sales every weekend. It was a great joy to check off one from his recommended list.

There were very few singers that I disagreed with him on (I know there was one at least, but can't remember who).

His discussion of why Mark Murphy caught on while Jackie Paris didn't set me off on a quest to find all the materials recorded by both of them.

I had the album he shared with you, but honestly this version is in better shape. Thanks.

AAUndercover said...

One more thing. I also enjoyed his Sinatra book. And all his liner notes.

But at one time I also collected Looney Tunes cartoons and bought a guide to them as well. Years later I noticed the author was Will Friedwald.

I was convinced he had the best job in the world.

Buster said...

Hi all - thanks for your comments. I too am an admirer of Will's Sinatra book - it's the best, pure pleasure for the Sinatraphile. And I think we all qualify for that designation!

DZONDZON said...

Hi, I'm not being critical but I've downloaded this zip file twice and it's corrupt. Track number 8 is missing. I listened to the rest of the songs and I'm looking forward to the whole album.

Buster said...

@ DZONDZON,

Thanks for letting me know! I have reuploaded the files and added a new link.

grumpy said...

Download now problem free. Thanks for a great album which I never knew existed.

Re: Will Friedwald, as well as the Sinatra opus his collaboration with Tony Bennett produced an autobiography that is essential reading.

'Jazz Singing' has had an enormous impact on my listening. He writes so passionately and informatively about the musicians he admires. However I don't always agree. I have albums I love by singers he hates. But that's as it should be. If you haven't already done so read the book!!

DZONDZON said...

Thanks for the fast repair. I'm re-d/ling now.

Daver88 said...

Many thanks Buster for this album & also the info on Will Friedwald. I've not read any of his books but after reading the comments here I'll be checking him out.

jeronimo said...

Oh how I was looking for this one, since they reissued three tracks of it on a Tony Scott cd!
I'm a big fan of Paris, but the main reason of interest here, for me, is Marilyn Moore. How I wished that she recorded much more than this tracks and her LP.
I like it I like it.

A BIG THANK YOU!

j.

woolfnotes said...

This is listed as no longer available at RS. Any chance of a re-up? Looks interesting.