
Jeri Southern was something of a reluctant star - even a reluctant singer. She started as a pianist, and only began singing when her agent suggested it. She claimed that she didn't sing in her natural soprano, but in her speaking voice. After a little over a decade of being one of the most acclaimed vocal artists, she quit the business.
Despite Southern's diffidence, she has never lacked for admirers, and all of her LPs have been reissued.
Her first LP, a 10-incher, might have been a good candidate for this blog (and I do have it), but it was subsumed into the 12-inch LP Southern Hospitality, which has been reissued. The 1954 Billboard ad below, in which Southern congratulates Decca on its anniversary, makes reference to the title of the 10-inch LP - Warm, Intimate Songs in the Jeri Southern Style.
"Warm and intimate" does describe her style, but not fully. While her voice is warm, her approach can be inward, making the overall effect cool but intense. It's a fascinating effect, heard to full advantage in the song above, with one of Oscar Hammerstein's best lyrics. But it wasn't the extent of her range - one of her most popular records (also included here) was the title song for the film Fire Down Below, a bouncy calypso. (The soundtrack is here, FYI.) She also was not afraid to take on other singers' signature songs - this group of songs includes Billie Holiday's Don't Explain.
This post consists entirely of singles that Southern made for Decca that have not been reissued, as far as I can determine, since the 45s were released. This is the first of two posts I have planned of unreissued Southern singles. These eight titles date from 1955-57.

13 comments:
I am a big Jeri Southern fan so this is real treat. Many thanks - and for your consistently fine work.
Thanks Buster.
This is a nice surprise. Thank you.
WOW. If not for you, I would never have had the chance to hear these. I can't wait until the next post!
JohnnyUSA
Thank you so much. It's always a treat to hear anything by the incomparable Jeri, especially some of the rare singles. Much appreciated!
Buster, thanks for this. For me, certainly,but especially for a friend, a big Southern fan, whose birthday is coming up and who will be thrilled to have these on a CD.
Buster, These Jeri Southern 45s are (mostly) superb and each is a discovery. My favorite, "How Did He Look," has only one equal in my mind--Mel Torme's. Jeri was born to sing such songs. Even the masochism special, "Nothing At All" and "Don't Explain," are practically peerless. "Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful" and "Who Am I to Say" have Jeri's wonderfully cottony voice. All in all, this is a treasure trove. Why these tracks weren't issued on LPs rather than 45s where I can't believe they had much sales potential mystifies me. Just when I thought I had heard all of Jeri's recordings, you give her fans pause for new delights. I can't thank you enough for these surprises. But heartfelt thanks anyway.
For 2 more songs: http://learning2share.blogspot.com/2008/02/jeri-southern-touch-of-love-bw-youre.html
I can only repeat what the first comment said (Philip). And THANKS again.
What a wonderful treat. Thank you!
Thanks to all - I really appreciate all the comments! So glad these sides brought pleasure.
David, just want to mention again how much I appreciate your coming back to comment after you have listened. I always find your thoughts illuminating.
Thanks for this re-post.
Greatly appreciated!!!
Mitch
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!OFlXGTyL!EYtT_bxOF1K4JFOTVmcXzINZOi6ubHxhGaOTJZKFCGE
Wonderful songs from this moving singer, thank you so much for sharing Buster and thank you Ravel for the information about the 2 additional songs!
Post a Comment