
By request, some Bobby Troup - the first LP by the singer-pianist-composer-actor, the 10" version of "Bobby Troup!", from 1953.
Troup first came to notice as a songwriter, with Daddy as early as 1941, followed by Route 66, a big hit for Nat Cole. Later compositions included Girl Talk and The Girl Can't Help It. (Too bad Little Richard didn't do a whole album of Troup, eh?)
This album has three of Troup's own numbers - The Three Bears (offered here previously in two different Page Cavanaugh renditions), Hungry Man and Lemon Twist. The latter is set to a familiar bop riff that I can't quite place.
Within the limits of his style, Troup was an enjoyable performer. He never had much of a voice, but what he had he used stylishly, although on these early sides the style can veer into mannerism. He sounds remarkably like Bob Dorough - who, I should add, did not begin recording until three years later.
The West Coast style arrangements are by trombonist-saxophonist Bob Enevoldsen, who often worked with Troup. The other musicians are Newcomb Rath, Jack Dulong, Bill McDougal (ts), Don Davidson (bar), Howard Roberts (g), Harry Babasin (b), and Don Heath (d). (That info is courtesy of my friend Mel - thanks!)
Note: I've now expanded this post to include the four additional songs contained on the 12-inch version of this LP, plus three more sides never issued on LP. There is a new post here, and the link also is in the comments to this post.

14 comments:
Thanks a lot, for this and all the rest!
Only disturbing thing: is that my mother throwing her panties at Troup?
Is that lady on the back proffering her underwear, ala lady Tom Jones fans? That's awful racy for a doodle of this vintage.
You don't mention Bobby's acting career, or his wife Julie London. That's how I first heard of him, long before I knew he wrote Route 66.
@ Wortley and Ernie,
You'll have to tell me if that was mom or not; my mother would not do such a thing! (Of course, if that was Frankie doing the singing...)
Also, I did wonder myself what she was trying to send to the Troup - first I thought it was panties, then a rib-eye steak, finally I decided it was her pearls.
Ernie - I did mention he was an actor, although not his illustrious wife. I think this was about the time that he was swiping her from Jack Webb. Troup put out a single called (I think) Her Name Is Julie right after this LP.
Thanks for the Bobby Troup and Jeri Southern 45's.
This was my first download from your site, and I still love every minute of it. Such a rarity among the Troup albums...
The aformentioned song 'Julie Is Her Name' has been recorded around the same time as an instrumental by Harry Babasin (if I'm not wrong, anyway it was on the Nocturne label) and I believe also by Bob Stewart, the singer...but again it's possible that I mix up some names...
Troup is still a hip cat!
Thank you for all your wonderful uploads
j.
Thank You Buster ... BTroup ... Baron VB
Just DL ed this one and can't wait to hear it.
Thanks Buster.
Back to this home of yours ... always finding findings! Thanks a lot.
Bummer!
The link has expired. Buster, if you're still paying attention 3+ years after this upload, can you please re-up this LP for a new blog fan?
Thank you in advance!
Far out!
Thanks again, Buster!
Thanks Buster for the remaster. Bobby T is way beyond cool!! ("drive the streets in my Jagwa")
What's a couple of years? Thanks, Buster.
Thank YOU
Remastered and expanded version (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/6Acn0DDR#_ni1A--NHwZaqKy7aTyAyuvWFPkqiiIPaf8Dnx0HCGY
Post a Comment