26 December 2008

Eartha Kitt


Another icon of the popular arts has passed away - Eartha Kitt, at the age of 81.

Kitt had a remarkable personality, which shows through every moment on this, her first LP on RCA Victor, from the early 1950s. It contains many of her most recognizable tunes, although not the inescapable Santa Baby, nor Monotonous, which she introduced in New Faces of 1952. That performance is on video (but not, it appears, on YouTube.)

I've included separately the Stan Freberg version of C'Est Si Bon, which manages to parody both Kitt's vocal mannerisms and the Henri Rene arrangement.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I had this as a 45 rpm 2-disc set. Great to see the LP version! I think there was also a 10-inch of That Bad Eartha, very dark and sexy cover.

Buster said...

Hi - Without looking it up (I do have the record somewhere), I am almost certain that That Bad Eartha is the 12-inch reissue of this 10-inch record with several additional songs.

StealthMan said...

This one looks worthy of a re-up in a future cycle, especially the Stan Freberg.

I hope you will eventually, Buster.

Thanks.

Buster said...

Remastered version (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/#!yVEF3ByJ!E5ZEp1ah_Tj7_utC53NNs1vjS3aOfdSGDmLJVUkrsD0

flyingfinger said...

Hey Buster! Thanks for a fine LP....nice!

RMC said...

It's remarkable how many of these I remember from the radio of my childhood.The whole album, more or less, was a hit!
Many thanks – it has me being a kid again in the suburbs of the 1950s.