12 December 2008

Digression No. 13

I really wasn't planning on posting so much Christmas music, but once you get rolling, it's hard to stop. There are many sites that specialize in this music; I've already mentioned Ernie of Ernie (Not Bert), who keeps up a frenetic pace throughout the month. Another is A Christmas Yuleblog, whether the Captain keeps coming with the tunes at a remarkable rate.

Two posts of 10-inch records over at the latter site have given me particular pleasure this season. One is Dragnet - The Christmas Story. (Jack Webb and Christmas? Who could argue with that?) The second is Christmas on the Range with Jimmy Wakely, the great western singer. The latter is a rare set that Wakely made for Capitol at about the same time that he cut the big hit Silver Bells with another fine singer, Margaret Whiting.

As a tribute to these indefatigable bloggers, here is a record that Wakely made circa the late 50s for his own company, Shasta. This exists in two different forms, one with the cover below, the other with a generic Christmas present cover that then could be customized with a sticker for corporate gift-giving.

NEW LINK

5 comments:

David Federman said...

Is that a stereo recording I hear? Very enjoyable. Here's a request: Around 1954, Decca issued a 10-inch Christmas LP by Peggy Lee. I have only seen the record jacket hanging in a store and have never heard the album. Do you by any chance own this record? And, if so, can you post it. Xmas music doesn't get any rarer.

Buster said...

David,

It is a stereo recording. (The jacket depicted is from my mono copy.)

There are two Peggy Lee Christmas items that I can recall off the top of my head - a 12-inch album from the early 60s called Christmas Carousel, and a 45 with picture sleeve from a bit earlier, both of which I have. I don't remember a 10-inch album. She did make a 10-inch album for Decca (which I also have) but it isn't a Christmas item. I'm away now but will double-check references as soon as I can.

Ernie said...

Great stuff, thanks! I'm constantly amazed by the things I don't even know exist.

Ernie said...

Over the weekend I came home with a Jimmy Wakely Christmas LP on Dot that hadn't seen previously. Turned out to be a reissue of this one. You're beating me to the punch by about 8 years... :)

Buster said...

I've never seen it on Dot.