
Back in the mid-50s, you could hang these season's greetings from Stoki on your tree, with a Christmas-themed EP inside. I'm not surprised this idea didn't spread to other conductors - can you imagine A Jolly Christmas with George Szell or Joy to the World from Fritz Reiner?
I hate to say it, but Stoki came to the party with stale goods - these items are excerpts from recordings that he made for RCA in the late 40s.
But the package is unique - I can't recall any other record sleeve that you can hang on a tree.
REUPLOAD - DECEMBER 2014

10 comments:
Hey! That's cheating. There's a 7" record inside that ornament, not a 10". :) I don't own any of these, but I've seen them for Perry Como, Mario Lanza, and at least one other person who's name escapes me. And I think they were all old, recycled music. Now, the question is, were these intended for the general public, or were they a promo thing for record stores?
Hi Ernie,
That makes sense - Lanza and Como were RCA artists. And now that you mention it, I think I may have seen the Como ornament. I am guessing these were for sale - the Stokowski ornament helpfully was dated 12/26/56 with the notation that it was "received and played" by the person who presumably received it as a gift. I obliterated this notation when I processed the scan.
Thinking about it for a day, I think I remember another one of these for a Country or Western artist, but I can't hazard a guess as to who. When I found these in a box at my favorite real record store (16 boxes of Christmas 45s!), the guy put prices on them that totaled more than I wanted to spend on the whole stack, so I put them back. The next year, they were all gone, and he had previously had multiple copies of each. Never seen them anywhere else.
Here's a link to the Perry Como ornament.
http://www.kokomo.ca/album_45epa_xmas_tree_2.htm
I didn't have much luck tracking down the others, but I'm sure they are out there.
There's a Hank Snow and maybe an Eddy Arnold (not 100% sure on that one).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13803438@N00/3132497329/
Ahhh, Eddy Arnold is the one I've seen. Thanks for jogging my memory on that one.
Dear admin, this download link is dead, would you re-upload this soundtrack in MEGA ? Thanks :)
Reup:
https://mega.co.nz/#!rRM1kLYC!HRJ0Li2RPosKetHhSCmmsh8dZLZBalBdBwPK2G9EDMc
Thank you to your quick action :)
Thanks Buster. I do enjoy your reups.
Post a Comment