Here's a tribute to one of MGM's great stars, Kathryn Grayson, and her recordings on the MGM label, starting with the 10-inch record Kathryn Grayson Sings, and adding other titles.
Making this compilation was a little confusing because, in the time-honored tradition of record companies everywhere, MGM issued two different records called Kathryn Grayson Sings, with partially overlapping contents, and its subsidiary Lion issued another called Kathryn Grayson, again with overlapping contents.
The 10-inch Kathryn Grayson Sings (above) has the best sonics of the three, so I used its contents where possible. But since it also was in the worst condition, I have substituted dubs from the two 12-inch albums (covers below) as needed.
The first eight songs are the ones that appeared on the 10-inch album. To these I've added the items on the 12-inch records that weren't on the 10-inch, so we ended up with 15 tracks in all. (I wanted to mention that the last track has some peak distortion, so please skip it if your ears are sensitive.)
If the explanation above hasn't put you to sleep, let's move on to discussing the voice, and it's spectacular. I've always loved the way she sings. She was a star; it's surprising she isn't more remembered today.
These songs are a combination of soundtrack recordings and sides made with a studio orchestra directed by Philip Green. The soundtrack recordings that are documented on the album covers are led by Georgie Stoll.
I'll be back later on with the recording of Desert Song that Grayson made with Tony Martin.



9 comments:
Ny God, this is a beautiful album. "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" is sung just as I imagine Jerome Kern dreamt it should be. And Kathryn's version of "All of a Sudden My Heart Sings" is to die for. Will we ever hear this kind of singing again? Answer yes, please.
You know, David, a similar thought occurred to me when I was preparing this - that she was an ideal singer for the songwriters of that era, such as Romberg, Kern and so on.
Thank you, buster, for these amazing collections.
David, to paraphrase one of the narrated comments on "That's Entertainment" (MGM,1974), "you can sit anound and hope, but you'll never hear the likes of this again..."
Many thanks, Buster.
Buster,
If you have time, would you please date the 10" album and the range of dates for the following songs.
Thank you
Buster,
Thank you for all the music. Please consider uploading Katheryn Grayson albums: Show Boat (1951), Lovely To Look At (1952) and Kiss Me Kate (1954).
Thank you.
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!2YFjBagb!7QsT9l9D2kUf6PcrjxvVig-6U2Dx1EK7eH1m90QC15o
missed this the first time so glad to have it here.
I put on "My Heart Stood Still" and I honestly thought a nightingale was singing. Every song that ever came from her throat was graced to have her as an origin. You have performed a magnificent act of public service. Thanks.
Post a Comment