
So you say you have never heard a Lord Buckley monologue? Imagine the story of Hiawatha as told by a Southern preacher or Marc Antony's eulogy of Caesar as done by a overripe English actor - all in 50s hipster lingo. ("The bad jazz a cat blows wails long after he's cut out!") That's Lord Buckley.
It's cool stuff, to be sure, but also strangely arid in the way that cool jazz can be. The mind wanders.
I looked on Wikipedia for some info on the Lord and found a strange tale of him being financially supported by Ed Sullivan (!) for many years. I wonder if this is true - it sounds to me like the kind of cosmic joking that Buckley himself might appreciate.
Speaking of eccentric artists, this record has a cover by the estimable Jim Flora, who does his best to illustrate the title cut.
Full disclosure: unlike the other covers on this site, this is not my image. The rip is mine, of course - it is from the double-EP version of the 10-inch LP.
NEW LINK

15 comments:
Praise the Lord! Please, if you've got more, enlighten us!
Thanks for your note - praise the Lord that you found your way here. I do have at least one other Lord Buckley records, but not on 10-inch. Let me see what we can do to (first) find it/them, and second, rip it/them.
Thank you for posting this....can't wait to hear it!
Thanks!
There is an alternate take to "Friends, Romans and Countrymen," and the band continues to play behind the monologue there.
I've posted it in my blog (Zorch's Inner Sanctum) as a supplement to this posting (along with a link to this page).
I thank you so much for publishing this important rarity.
Oh...I published a couple of rare ten-inchers myself in my blog after my Buckley cut. You inspired me...
Check 'em out, eh?
Thank you, Mr. ZorchMan. Your site is quite the treasure trove of the unusual and obscure - in other words, my kind of place! I will mention it on the main page here in a short while.
Also, your post reminded me that I promised to find my other Lord Buckley album, which I did and forgot to post. I will now go ahead and post it, assuming I don't forget again.
Hi Again,
Thank You so much for posting the obscure Lord Buckley Posting!
It was great to get this Lord Buckley collection that compliments my Elektra and World Pacific issues. On the alternate of Friends, Romans etc. the band is playing St. James Infirmary. Unfortunately, the band is so good that it makes listening to Buckley difficult.
Hi there. I just found your blog today. What's your policy on re-upping? I'd love to get this Buckley. Thanks.
I try to reup things that have been requested on an occasional basis, so I'll add this to the list.
New link:
https://mega.co.nz/#!eRFxWbxK!Yo0L7DaC-KjLF0l7nxDMhiLAYLIGYya_0sMc_ddXBKk
Thnx Buster. Lord Buckley was in Chicago for years, and one of the back stories had him as a particular favorite of Al Capone. In those years, that wasn't a bad friend for an entertainer to have.
I see that this share doesn't include his classic: 'The Nazz'. It is endlessly inventive white hipster rap, and nastily sacreligious, if you're devout. If you haven't seen this since your original posting, email me and I'll drop you a link.
Hi Otis - I would be happy to have that!
link still works. thnx.
Thanks Buster!
A superb maniac, thanks Buster.
Post a Comment