Hollywood may not have invented the idea of using sex to sell products, but may have perfected it with this astonishing item.On the cover we get the eye-popping image of Rita Hayworth as Salome. Those who know their Bible, Oscar Wilde or Richard Strauss will expect Hollywood to follow the familiar story line and have Rita dance for Herod so that he will grant her wish that John the Baptist have his head lopped off.
Well, that plot may have been OK for the Bible or for those decadent Europeans, but Columbia Pictures had other ideas. In this version, the noble girl dances not to slay the Baptist but to save him. (Unfortunately for John, her dancing was more effective when she wanted him dead.)
The most impressive thing about this record (other than Hayworth's chest) is the excellent music by George Duning, although for some reason, the dance of the seven veils music is by Daniele Amfitheatrof. I could do without the shriek at the end of that track, which signifies the entrance of the Baptist's head on a platter. That apparently spoiled the atmosphere at the party, which beheadings tend to do.
When this record came out, it wasn't common for LP covers to feature color photos. Those were generally reserved for the likes of Hollywood stars and Frank Sinatra. Black and white photos and illustrations were the norm until a few years later.
REMASTERED VERSION

8 comments:
Great Post! And an excellent blog as well. Looking forward to more gems.
I love your blog. I hope that you have enogh patience and determination to keep going on, because it seems to me that we may be privileged to enjoy all the great sharing here.
Many thanks!
Thanks very much for your comments. I hope I have the patience as well. I have hundreds of these things and love all aspects of them - the sound, the covers, the performances, and writing about them. What could be better?
It's obvious that you are the perfect host for such a wonderful blog.
I hope you can continue for a very long time.
What could be better, indeed?
Sad to see this recording is unavailable - have memories of the event of 'Salome' when the film first came out and I lived with my family as a young lad in Singapore. Thanks for the memories!
@ robeert - There is a later version available at:
http://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/2009/04/celebrating-with-salome.html
Many thanks!! Rita was one of my favourites but SHE who captured my heart was Rosanna Podesta in 'Helen of Troy'. Onwards to discover and listen to more courtesy of big10inchrecord.
I just saw this on dvd and was able to follow the cuts from the files you made available. It's great music; thanks for letting me enjoy it again in the future!
Post a Comment