14 May 2008

Jackie Paris


Unfortunately not that many people ever got into the "Paris mood" during Jackie Paris' long career, which ended with death in 2004. Unfortunate for him and for those who haven't heard him, for he was one of the finest pop/jazz singers of the past several decades.

This was his first album, issued circa 1954. All but one of the tracks on this 10-incher were later recycled on the 12-inch album Skylark. Paris is accompanied here by a small group featuring trumpeter Charlie Shavers.

You can learn more about Paris here. Or go over to the People vs. Dr. Chilledair, where the doc has a number of articles on the singer, whom he knew personally. As he says there, "Until recently, it was hard for me to grasp that Jackie Paris was 'famous' only with myself and a relative handful of other jazz vocal devotees around the world." Still true, alas.

NEW LINK

8 comments:

David Federman said...

Thank you, thank you for this great album. "The Things We Did Last Summer" is outstanding.

Paul said...

Great album. I guess you already know about the skips, especially on You're Mine You. I at first thought my files had issues. I am a huge David Allyn fan and obscure singer fan. Love it.

Buster said...

Paul - Thanks for your note. I transferred this a long time ago, so I'm not too sure about the skips on this one, but they do show up here from time to time.

Paul said...

This wonderful post prompted me to watch the DVD documentary about this wonderful singer. Will Friedwald is also in it as well as Billy Taylor and a host of other greats. I urge you to watch it if you are a Jackie Paris fan or just want some great education in this genre.

Buster said...

Hi Paul - I do have that documentary, and have it on my list for watching soon.

Paul said...

You really should watch it soon. I only wish someone would have done this for David Allyn. I was close enough to him to do it but at that time I had no budget. He is now in his 90's and tough at times to reach. If he remembers me, I am set, but at times he is tough to get a hold of.

jeronimo said...

This was probably the first album I downloaded from this wonderful place. And probably the album that led me straight to this bog.
Jackie Paris is a personal hero! First I had just one Paris album and a handful of his contributions as a guestvocalist. After discovering all this terrific places, my collection becomes more and more complete...

thank you ever so much!

j.

Scoredaddy said...

VERY VERY belated thanks