13 April 2026

Buster Searches for More Lost Treasures

Yes, it's time again to return to Buster's Back Room, where musical treasures (or travesties) await the curious listener.

As with the last foray into the Back Room, I've compiled a list of projects that are more or less complete but unpublished for one or the other reason - either I was tired of it, concerned that no one would be interested, or didn't feel like writing about it.

A list of these items us below. Let me know in the comments if any appeal to you.

Finally, a caveat that for any resulting posts I may not write the voluminous nonsense that is typical around here.

The Music of Trevor Duncan. This gifted English composer of light music for stock libraries wrote superb melodies. Extensive transfers direct from the original issues.

Ray Charles Singers - Music from The Pajama Game and 8 Top Hits. Two LPs from Ray's Cadence period in the early 1950s, before his M-G-M recordings.

Dottie Evans - 20 Selections. Dottie was a versatile and talented studio singer who made many recordings for budget labels in the 1950s.

Cowell - Symphony No. 7, Ward - Orchestral Works. A good LP from two fine 20th century American composers.

Early Delius Recordings. Electrical recordings conducted by Geoffrey Toye and John Barbirolli.

Saint-Saëns - Septet, D'Indy - Suite in Olden Style. M-G-M recordings of the Guilet String Quartet with Harry Glantz, Julius Baker, and Claude Monteux. (Not particularly well recorded.)

Ivanov Conducts Tchaikovsky. A 1959 recording of Konstantin Ivanov leading a performance of the composer's Symphony No. 1. (Also not particularly well recorded.)

A Bell for Adano. The soundtrack to a 1956 TV musical by Dietz and Schwartz with the excellent Edwin Steffe and the OK Anna Maria Alberghetti.

Silk Stockings. The songs from the 1957 Cole Porter film score with Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse. Based on Ninotchka.

Jeannie McKeon. 10 songs from an obscure vocalist of the 1940s. (You can sample her singing here.)

Jug Bands. A short set of 1920s-30s recordings by the Memphis Jug Band et al.

Shirley Collins. This one is far afield - 1960s-70s recordings by the English folk singer with the Albion Country Band, among others. Fleeting appearances by Christopher Hogwood and David Munrow, not to mention Richard Thompson.

Vaughan Williams - The Pilgrim's Progress. The classic recording led by Sir Adrian Boult. (I still need to finish recording this one.)

81 comments:

Bryan said...

Hi Buster, anything by Dottie Evans is good for me. I mostly know her from Enoch Light's productions. I also have the two albums she collaborated with Tom Glazer on. These being, From Ballads For The Age Of Science.

Ernie said...

I vote for the other Ray Charles!

Buster said...

Bryan - I was hoping someone would vote for Dottie!

Buster said...

Ernie - I assume you mean the ones I mentioned above, not the LP called "The Other Ray Charles" (which I also have).

Bryan said...

Ernie, you really cannot go wrong with this album. If I had to place a bet, it sounds just like an Enoch Light production. It features Dottie Evans and Artie Malvin. Besides, I have never heard the Ray Charles Singers so good.
I find there MGM and Decca albums sounding somewhat flat.

Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bryan said...

this is Pajama Game-8 Top Hits is a really good one. Besides, it has to be an Enoch Light production, or at least he had his hands on before he started Waldorf. Or at least he was moonlighting.

I would just love to get more of his 8 Top Hits collections. I am a sucker for these type of records.

Bryan said...

Besides, the songs from this Ray Charles collection, appear on several Waldorf 8 Top Hits collections, without the Ray Charles name attached to them.
And I swear that is Enoch's orchestra. But, it is late, and I should be asleep.

Buster said...

Bryan - These items are Archie Bleyer productions.

Bryan said...

Well, maybe he licensed them, or had a colab with Enoch. It is funny that they appear, or seem to appear, on the Waldorf label too.
Or Enoch just made his own versions of them with the same personel? I wish the Enoch collections were on the Internet Alchieve for comparisons.

Unknown said...

A Bell for Adano for sure

Bryan said...

Well Buster, I have egg on my face as the old saying goes. I located 3 of the Enoch Light versions, and "they" are different. So, just another artist recording there own versions. One thing I can say, Archie Bleyer seems to have the better production values on his recordings.
But still, this "is" a great listen, and those who hear it, will enjoy it, if and when you share it.

Buster said...

It's pretty good, but the sound is not great.

Buster said...

Bryan - Anything is possible. I am by no means an expert on budget labels.

gimpiero said...

Great

RonH said...

Great list Buster,
I love to hear: Ray Charles, Trevor Duncan, Dottie Evans and A Bell from Adano. Thanks in advance .

gimpiero said...

Great

NikZ said...

Certainly anything with the Guilet Quartet (or ‘rare’ string quartet recordings) would be greatly appreciated by this writer! And as ever, thanks so much for taking the time to enlighten & entertain us here! 😀

Man from Mordor said...

Would be most interested in Cowell - Symphony No. 7, Ward - Orchestral Works. That’s assuming it isn’t the dreaded Simon Cowell! Cheers.

Man from Mordor said...

Would also like the Shirley Collins material if it isn’t too much trouble. Mind you, tempted by Cyd Charisse if she’s in silk (or any other kind of) stockings!!

Arthur said...

The Jeannie McKeon songs you've posted on your other site whet the appetite for more! Also, don't know Dottie Evans but would love to hear her.

Ernie said...

I meant the white guy, didn't know there was an LP actually called The Other Ray Charles. :)

Jack said...

The Shirley Collins recording sounds interesting.

Buster said...

Good choices, Ron!

Buster said...

NikZ - Thanks for your note!

Buster said...

Man from Mordor - No, it's Henry, not Simon, thank goodness.

Buster said...

Man from M. - Shirley seems to be popular, surprisingly. Cyd's popularity is not in doubt.

Buster said...

Arthur - I liked Jeannie myself!

Buster said...

Jack - Two votes for Shirley!

Phillip said...

Would love to hear your Trevor Duncan survey. Thanks for asking Buster.

Buster said...

Phillip - That's a good one!

Anonymous said...

Buster,
My vote is for:
Cowell - Symphony No. 7, Ward - Orchestral Works
Silk Stockings - Cole Porter
Vaughan Williams - The Pilgrim's Progress.

Thank you for all you do.

Brst regards,

Purcell

Anonymous said...

I, too, would love to hear the works of Trevor Duncan! Many thanks for all of your wonderful posts.

Buster said...

Purcell - Good choices!

Buster said...

Anon - The interest in Duncan is surprising. Thanks for your note!

musicman1979 said...

Casting my vote for the Ray Charles Singers and Dottie Evans! I don't think Dottie has gotten any in-depth treatment, being that she was a budget label singer who primarily worked for Enoch Light's Waldorf Music Hall and some one-offs for Bell in the late-'50's. I wouldn't mind having some more extended commentary on Dottie being that most people probably don't know who she is.

Buster said...

musicman - Agree completely!

Andrew said...

Hi Buster

Thanks, I'll vote for Henry Cowell, please.

Also, I have the RVW Pilgrim's Progress, but I think it would be good to make it available for the benefit of others.

I agree with the general assessment that the opera lacks a strong dramatic push (though I have seen it effectively staged by ENO) but it contains some wonderful music, and clearly meant a good deal to its composer.

Buster said...

Andrew,

I very much would like more people to listen to Pilgrim's Progress. It contains some of the composer's greatest music. I would have loved to see the staging.

The Cowell is a popular choice in this discussion, so it will be coming up soon.

Andrew said...

Thanks Buster.

Now that I've reread the list, I'd like to vote for Shirley Collins too.

Kind regards

Andrew

Martyzilla said...

Well, I'm interested in all of these - though my most interested in's are the vocalists. I learn so much about Classical music from your blog , but the vocalists you bring into my awareness always mesmerize me.

Geoconno said...

Cyd Charisse was dubbed by Carol Richards who had a silkier voice.

Buster said...

Marty - The vocalists will appear for sure.

Eddie S said...

Buster - any chance of the Toye/Barbirolli Delius recordings please.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

As a musical theatre fan and ardent admirer of the film of A BELL FOR ADANO, I'd particularly love to hear the TV soundtrack! But your other selections are intriguing, too--as always! Bring 'em on!

Buster said...

Eddie - A vote for ancient and obscure Delius! Will post it on the singles blog at some point.

Buster said...

Anon - There's been a few asks for Adano, so it will be coming up.

Jim said...

Buster; Any American Recording Society LP xfer is a go with me. The Cowell 7th symphony and Ward most welcome. Thank you for this blog.

Buster said...

Jim - You're very welcome! The Cowell-Ward is actually not ARS; it came out on MGM.

Bryan said...

Trevor Duncan "Other Worlds" library music album, is, well, "out there". A bit to much for my ADHD brain to handle, but I read it pops up on weird YouTube corners.
A must recording of SciFi tracks, if you are so inclined to enjoy this genre of music. A must listen.

Anonymous said...

Morning! Cowell, Duncan and Collins please.
I used to bump into Shirley when I worked in the town she was living in and she was a supporter of the Morris side I used to dance with. Lovely lady!

sound_hunter said...

I was most happy to find your blog. So many rare performances from a time when artists only got to record pieces they really wanted to record. From your intriguing list:
Cowell ; Saint-Saëns ; Ivanov ; and when you finish it the Boult VW Pilgrim's progress.

Buster said...

Bryan - Duncan wrote all kinds of music; most of the material I have is light stuff.

Buster said...

Anon - Wonderful! You will enjoy "Staines Morris," my favorite from this collection.

Buster said...

sound_hunter - Thanks for your note; happy to have you here!

Bryan said...

Buster, this is my favorite type of music in most cases. Instrumentals, MOR, Easy Listening, etc. for my at home listening.
For out and about, I prefer the same as I listed above, and more vocals.

A N Other said...

Yes, please, for Trevor Duncan and Cowell/Ward and early Delius recordings. All good wishes to you

Buster said...

Peter - Those are good ones; all will appear here in the fullness of time.

Anonymous said...

Dave from Ardmore assumes the Cowell-Ward pairing is an ARS release and votes for its top placement on your to-do list. I also cast a ballot for the Ray Charles.

Buster said...

Dave - Those are coming up. The Cowell-Ward is actually on MGM.

Anonymous said...

Dave from Ardmore asks: In what bank vault are all those wonderful MGM and ARS master tapes stored? Have any search parties been sent out to find them?

Buster said...

Dave - Most of these ARS/MGM issues are from my basement, but this one I actually found on IA and thought interesting.

Anonymous said...

Another vote here for Len Trebilco. And Ray Charles please.

Bryan said...

Hi Buster, I hope everyone one knows which of these Ray Charles you are referring to.
But, as I have said, these early Ray Charles singers are actually in better voice, than his later singers.

Buster said...

Anon - Both are in prep.

Bryan said...

Here is a joke I heard many years ago. I have typed it out the best I can remember it.
If you find it, inappropriate, please delete.

A session singer gets a call to say she has a job doing work for Ray Charles.
She is so happy that she has to tell her friend about it.
Her friend, hearing the news, responds this way…
Which Ray Charles, the blind one or the deaf one?

I later learned this second Ray Chales was the singer on the theme song of that TV series, Two's Company. Yikes.

Hopefully, that series was better than that horrible off-key theme song. Double yikes...

Buster said...

Bryan - I hope so, too, although Ray is a big favorite around here.

Buster said...

Bryan - That's just fine, although inaccurate. I think he did write and sing that song.

Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bryan said...

Well, I do have to admit, The Ray Charles singers are a favorite of mine, but I fine their early Decca and MGM records sound flat. Even their output on the Somerset label (think 100 Strings) sound the same.
Once they started recording for Enoch Light and his Command label, there was a vast improvement. I am sure it was Enoch's recording technology.
I have tried to collect every album they have released, even though I find the sound a bit off.
But still, the Ray Conniff singers, are in my book, one of the very best. My CD and MP3 can attest to this.

Keek said...

Hi Buster, while your taking requests, how about (Tutti) Camarata's album Autumn? I've been trying to clean it up from the Internet Archive files but it's beyond my amateur skills. https://archive.org/details/lp_autumn_tutti-camarata_0

Buster said...

Keek - Sure, I'll take a look at it.

Bryan said...

Hi Buster, I think that would be something we all would like to know, how to clean up an MP3 file.
Ernie suggested Clickrepair if you can find it. But It says, it is not made for MP3 files.
I know both Ernie and yourself have mentioned that you have cleaned up files from the Internet Archive. Is there a free program on the internet that does this. In my case, I rarely come across an MP3 file that needs this, so I would not want to spend money on something that gets very rare-occasional use.
But, I have a few of them that could use this.
Any ideas, would be most welcomed.

That is another thing, why do people upload files, anywhere, in such sorry conditions? They do not even try to clean them up. This also goes, well did, for out of copyrighted albums for sale on Amazon.de by various salers.

Keek said...

Bryan, I use Audacity, which is free, but there is a lot to learn. Lots of videos on the internet though. https://www.audacityteam.org/

Bryan said...

Thanks Keek.
I have Audacity and tried it once. It did not work for me. Maybe I did not try it correctly. I will have to try it again.

Anonymous said...

I second Shirley Collins

Buster said...

Bryan - I use several programs, but the basic one is iZotope RX11, which isn't freeware. Audacity can do click reduction, I believe, via a built-in Effect called "Click Reduction," but I don't know how effective it is.

Buster said...

Anon - There are several hands waving for Shirley. I never thought she would be so popular.

Buster said...

Bryan,

I believe Audacity will open MP3 files, but when you save them out, they lose quality because of re-compression artifacts. Try to use FLAC or ALAC files, or if you do work from an MP3 original, save it out into one of these lossless formats.

ClickRepair is no longer on the market and requires a license, which is unobtainable. There probably are cracked versions out there, but downloading software from unknown sites can be dangerous. They often harbor malware.

One other thought is that you can find old versions of Adobe Audition - V3 used to be available for free.

Bryan said...

Thanks Buster for all these suggestions.

Buster said...

Keek - Here is the Camarata. A good record; I will probably post it at some point.

https://mega.nz/file/DddgXACA#dnfBnE65z24DQXHeY7kIQNGHRJXNhSNy7P-zCBR9Q_c