Lately I have been off investigating Tchaikovsky recordings (see posts below), so good friend David Federman has filled the void with three very interesting recordings: a "September Serenade" compilation and two recordings by the splendid guitarist Mundell Lowe, one composed of Alec Wilder originals. My meager offering is a reup of the first album by an unknown but talented vocalist, Marge Dodson.
A September Serenade
David pays homage to September and the changing of the seasons in this mix spanning 40 years of song. His commentary:
"Most of these songs you know, but I'm sure 'A Faded Summer Love,' 'The Trembling of a Leaf,' and 'A Lonely Park,' will be new to most, if not all, of you. Even the familiar may surprise you.
"I have included a gorgeous duet version of 'Autumn Leaves' by Chet Baker and Ruth Young that I'm sure will blow your mind. It follows Yves Montand's 1950 version of the original song, 'Les Feuilles Mortes.' And Ella Fitzgerald's first recording of 'Early Autumn,' is very much a byproduct of the bop era that spawned this glorious ballad. [By the way, I've included a different song of the same name, recorded by Claude Thornhill in 1947.]
"Few have sung 'September Song' as beautifully as Felicia Sanders, another of jazz's many breast cancer victims. Although there is little rock and roll here, the Mamas and the Papas' 'California Dreamin'' is a full-fledged Autumn standard. So is Neil Young's 'Harvest Moon.' 'See You in September' is my one concession to artful teeny-bopper music. The recordings used here is the original, first released by a Pittsburgh group, the Tempos, in 1959. Although the song became a hit for others, I think its first version remains the best.
"Autumn is, I'm afraid, a very sad season - one of loss and departure. While there are some 'happy' songs here like ''Tis Autumn' and 'Autumn In New York,' the majority are sad. Some songs are so glorious, I've supplied two versions. Hence you'll hear both Sidney Bechet's and Bing Crosby's versions of Victor Herbert's 'Indian Summer' as well as Richard Himber's and Billie Holiday's recordings of 'Autumn in New York.'"
Mundell Lowe
David includes two LPs by Mundell Lowe: New Music by Alec Wilder and The Mundell Lowe Quintet. His discussion of the first named:
"Any album by guitarist Mundell Lowe is an important one. Add in the trumpet of Joe Wilder and the album is elevated to momentous. Cap off the recording with 12 compositions composed especially for Lowe by Alec Wilder and conducted by him for these sessions and it is an historic occasion. Liner notes by Frank Sinatra, an ardent advocate of Wilder's music who recorded a landmark album of his pieces in 1946, only add another jewel to this crowning achievement (see pdf included in album folder).
"What you have here are 12 wonderful compositions for wind octet recorded in June and July of 1956 and released on Riverside that same year. As far as I know, this marvelous record has never been issued on CD and is not available in any digital format."
Marge Dodson
Back in 2011 I wrote, "Although she made only three albums that I can trace, Marge Dodson was well regarded in her day, and for good reason - she was
quite a fine singer. There is little information available on her today, but I did ascertain that she continued singing in clubs into the
1970s."
This LP, In the Still of the Night, was her first, done for Columbia in 1959.
See the original post for a link to a newly remastered version.
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
1 month ago

19 comments:
Links:
A September Serenade
https://mega.nz/#!WRdD2IgD!gzJfyynyjoGWwklu4RwjZ8rwkgpFtReFSO-ywViOkz4
Mundell Lowe - New Music of Alec Wilder
https://mega.nz/#!DdVjnSDQ!CeuB6E0IcJnW8mUc8KMLqy4zXMIHBkvLjdkb0irIets
Mundell Lowe Quintet
https://mega.nz/#!XAMTlQCb!1S7tEq0R6puetOfuuCPS89UWCMWhJRYsQf-FQ1QWdU4
Thank you for the Mundell Lowe. May I point you towards the titles and underscore he did for the tv series 'Love On A Rooftop'. It is on Youtube.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBlgY51ipFU
Thanks, Andrew!
Thank you Buster!
Thank you David for the Mundell Lowe!
Your pal,
Doug
Neat find Andrew!
Doug
Thanks Buster,Andrew and David. Masterpieces. Great!!
Lowe's TV-series music reminds me of Kenyon Hopkins' TV-series music of the same period. Give a listen to his music for shows like "The Reporter."
thanks Buster and David!!
Please thank your good friend David Federman for me, because this is a wonderful mix of tunes--and "Harvest Moon" is a favorite of mine with great personal significance. For anyone interested, there's a cover of it by Cassandra Wilson that also gets me every time.
thank you very much for these. -a.v.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIHeLafUPas
Edgar Winter Group / Dan Hartman Vocalist
I made a cassette of this tune and actually mailed it to Mel Torme years ago thinking he should perform it , he did so many great Fall type songs!
Nice song, but I can't find any reference to a Mel Torme recording of it. Can you provide album name or, best of all, an MP3? Love cross-over versions of rock songs--that is, when they are done tastefully.
Buster, I am glad you enjoyed and shared "A September Serenade." While assembling it, I listened to a lot of George Melachrino albums--and realized how his records have aged so much better than me. His "Christmas in High Fidelity," the first of his two RCA seasonal music albums, is one of the best of the genre. And I still don't know why it hasn't been issued as a twofer with his later one. In any case, Melachrino sent me to Morton Gould and, by chance, to a 1954 album by Percy Faith called "Music from Hollywood," which has a stellar arrangement of "Invitation" and a wonderful symphonic version of "Where Is Your Heart." However, the copy I transferred from sounds awful and I was hoping that maybe you had this (to my ears) exceptional album. I don't believe you have posted much, if any, of Percy's albums, maybe because of dislike or neglect. But this, I think, might be worthwhile excavating. One other request: a Jackie Gleason album featuring great jazz soloists called "Opiate D'Amour." If I remember right, Ellington's chief trombonist Lawrence Brown is featured on a few tracks. It's been a long time since I listened, so I might have my Gleason albums confused. But I remember 'Opiate' as one of Gleason's most jazz-tinged albums.
wowowowowow!!!!
thanks for all these goodies Mister B.
j.
Many thanks Buster and David
David - I do like Percy and have many of his records. I checked and have the 10-inch version of Music from Hollywood, but not (to my surprise) the 12-inch. I'll transfer the former.
I look forward to this. May I also offer a second autumn-themed mix? I just need one more song, which I am finding hard to transfer from CD: David Allyn's second recording, made with Johnny Mandel around 1960, of one of my favorite songs of all time: "It All Comes Back to Me Now." I have every recording from the year it was a hit: 1941. But Allyn, who recorded this song, memorably, with Jack Teagarden that year, is the only post-war visitor to this glorious song I have found. Perhaps you know, and own, the Allyn album, "In the Blue of Evening," to which I refer. If so, you would be doing me and the world a giant favor by sharing it. Allyn is one of the greatest singers in American jazz history. And if any song summarizes the spiritual essence of autumn it is "It All Comes Back to Me Now." By the way, thanks for the Bernstein. I always hated the movie version of "On the Town" because it left out "Lucky to Be Me" and "Some Other Time." Thankfully, I got to see the wonderful Broadway revival in 2015.
Sure thing. I know I have that David Allyn recording; "It All Comes Back to Me Now" is a great song. I'll transfer it for you.
And here's the "It All Comes Back to Me Now" recording:
https://mega.nz/#!jMk0xI6T!SUO-tSPrzgialVZ-1iIXrvEt8rVEycLiVa_MaQcL1-4
Post a Comment