03 April 2011

Marge Dodson

Here by request from my friend flyingfinger is this unre-released LP from singer Marge Dodson. FF recently discovered her singing, flipped for her voice, and requested this, her first album, made for Columbia in 1959.

Marge in 1961
Although she made only three albums that I can trace, Dodson was well regarded in her day, and for good reason - she was quite a fine singer. There is little information available on her today, but I did ascertain that she continued singing in clubs into the 1970s.

On this LP of standards, she is accompanied by a good group led by obscure pianist Michael Colicchio. Dodson's husband Coleridge Perkinson takes over for Little Girl Blue.

The sound here is fairly good, although there is too much reverb on Dodson's vocal mike. My pressing has some vinyl noise in the background and some peak distortion on the singer's vocals on the first number, most of which I've been able to eliminate.

That is Marge looking glamorous on the cover.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phenomenal! Thank you!

RonH said...

Thanks Buster,

Never heard of Marge but what a voice!

Great!!

RonH

Phillip said...

Your patience and tenacity a thing of wonder, as always. Thanks, Buster.

Mindy said...

This looks wonderful. Thanks as always!

jeronimo said...

This is such a good singer!!!
Unbelievable that she's completely overlooked!!!

Love every moment of this album...
Great to hear these standards the way that Dodson tackles them...

Great arrangements to!!!

Thanks a million Buster!

j.

jeronimo said...

And then I haven't said a thing about that smokey cover...

Gee...

sunlion777 said...

Buster, I'm always happy to hear a singer from the 50s that I haven't heard before! Thank you for sharing the music!

Ernie said...

Oooh, this looks promising. This is exactly the sort of album that I would buy based on the cover alone, yet never find the time for listening to it. Perhaps since you've made it so convenient to download and listen to, in my choice of download site and format, I'll somehow find the time. Thanks a million!

Baron said...

Thanks Buster ... a singer new to me ... Baron

JohnnyLovesRecords said...

Buster, This is one I have long searched for! Thank you so much. If you like, I will send you her other album New Voice in Town. And you have to love this cover huh??

Buster said...

Thanks everyone for the gracious comments.

@ Johnny - Thanks so much, but I am lucky enough to have a copy of New Voice in Town.

Albert said...

Thanks!

Bill Reed said...

Dodson was spotted by singer Carol Sloane at Lincoln Center in 2002. She forthwith posted the following on a yahoo list: "She's
looking fit and happy but doesn't sing any longer." (Too bad; she's good.) Another member of the list describes her around the same time as working as a "high-powered" secretary in the Time-Warner Bldg in NYC. I think I found an address for her on 105th Street in NYC.

Buster said...

Thanks Bill - most informative.

StealthMan said...

This, and your Peggy King post, makes me hope you might have rare Dakota Staton LP's (like 1959's "Crazy He Calls Me", which I've never seen in stereo).

I hope you'll add the FLAC version of the Dodson to your list of ones to re-up.

Thanks for putting this up!

Buster said...

I'll reup the FLAC version.

Funny, I just found a Dakota Staton Capitol stereo last week - Ballads and the Blues. Not sure if I have the other, and my collection will be inaccessible for some time.

StealthMan said...

"Ballads and Blues"? Wow! That one is hard to find and mine has some bad, bad noise!

You've definitely got me as a follower now!

And thanks for re-upping the Dodson.

StealthMan said...

I just found "New Voice in Town", her 1960 LP. Funny, it's in mono (Columbia CL 1458), and Billboard seems to show it ONLY as available in mono (in 1960??).

Well, it's because Buster put this one up here that I found "New Voice..." Thanks, Buster!

Buster said...

StealthMan - I have a copy of "New Voice" - I believe it is mono.

Another Rolf said...

I love this cover. It's like an homage to the zeitgeist. And a clear, sultry voice that suits the cover. Thanks.

Unknown said...

It was mid '67 singing Live in the afternoon at the WHDH TV studios in Boston - at night; Paul's Mall with Dave Bloom doing "Turn Down Day" and more till 2AM. Then it was the spring of '72 and she was just down the street from us as secretary to Harry Reasoner on The ABC Evening News, but was still singing. What an amazing person, what a smile and what a voice. To hear her sing live was to fall in love. I'll never forget the feeling when she sang "I've been too Long at The Fair".

Buster said...

John - You were very lucky to hear her! Thanks for your note.

flyingfinger said...

Buster - just droppin' in to say thanks, and I'm listening to Marge right now - and cruise over to our spot and have a listen to Vera Sanford -

https://hotfile.com/dl/229466584/4f08c99/vyra-san.rar.html

Buster said...

Remastered version (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/#!acM1jaqY!AHHEFl327eKlcgIgSaFbY_MzTs5db1Z3qa-kugXunjE

Bhowani said...

Merci beaucoup, Buster !!!(Sometimes arriving late and the last one is good!)