13 April 2011

Libby Holman


It's no exaggeration to say that Libby Holman led a wild life. On Broadway at an early age, she became famous as a torch singer, introducing such songs as Moanin' Low, Can't We Be Friends and Something to Remember You By in her throaty contralto.

Early Libby
Later Libby
Pursued by lovers of both sexes, Holman married Smith Reynolds, the tobacco heir. Reynolds ended up dead after a wild party in 1932, shot through the head. Holman was charged with murder, although the charges were dropped. She later married actor Ralph Holmes, who committed suicide.

Holman's notoriety has faded from the days when movies were based on her misadventures (Reckless and Written on the Wind), but you can still find tales about her drinking and drub abuse, exhibitionism, hiring a stripper for her son's bithday party when he was six, and so on.

Despite the alleged excesses, she continued working and occasionally making records well into the 1950s. And although she achieved fame as a sultry pop singer, she re-emerged in 1942 as one of the early cabaret folk singers, in the company of Josh White, who has appeared on this blog before. From that point on, her sporadic records were a combination of blues, folk material and political material.

This particular record, on the small MB label, was issued in 1954 in conjunction with her one-woman Broadway show, Blues, Ballads and Sin Songs (Holman was not above trading on her own reputation, apparently). The cover is by the fairly well-known commercial artist Fred Koester, who also designed the similar theater program (below). I have no idea why he has depicted Holman as an ascending spirit wearing way too much makeup.

Holman was a commanding presence; unfortunately, she did not have the same command of singing. What we hear here is often out of tune and her approach to such material as Strange Fruit and the House of the Rising Sun is bombastic. There was nothing subtle about Holman, in life or in art. She committed suicide in 1971.


9 comments:

Buster said...

Links:

http://www.mediafire.com/?6hwuaf4gg1l96tr

http://rapidshare.com/files/457321853/Libby_Holman_-_Sings_Blues__Ballads_and_Sin_Songs.zip

Duncanmusic said...

Thank you. This is the reason I stay up all night on my nights off (I work Nights) trawling the interwebs. For most of my musical friends this one would seem like a natural "I'll Pass"; but for someone like me with cultural, historical and sociological interest making my antennae tweak at the story, posts like this of Libby Holman are pieces of gold embedded in a surrounding rock of granite. You make a collector (for the last 57 years swince I got my first record at three) very happy. I could dare less how bad she sings. I mean have you heard Leona Anderson? ...and a thousand other 'golden throats' who had no business recording at all? But how boring it would be to you and me if everyone sounded like Barry Manilow or Vicki Carr (no offense to either of them, but...).

Tim said...

Your excellent write-up got me to check this out. You're right about her singing--her "Strange Fruit" is certainly no replacement for recordings of it by Billie Holiday or Cassandra Wilson; and the bouncy piano of "Careless Love" right afterward is kind of jarring (her "hello" at the 1:09 mark of the latter is pretty funny, though, which makes up for the shock)--but it has its own odd charm, regardless.
I like the theater program illustration, too.

David Federman said...

That you library houses this record is more amazing than your decision to share it. Granted, it takes guts for any singer--even one with the talent Miss Holman no longer possessed in 1954--to tackle "the Blues" from Back, Brown & Beige. So give her an "A" for effort. Nevertheless, your choice of the adjective "bombastic" to describe her over-the-top version of 'Rising Sun' is apt. I have a CD of her prime-of-life recordings and I always wonder why I bought it. But thanks for thinking of her, if not so much us. By the way, the album was worth listening to for me just for "Johnny Has Gone Far Away." I grew up in a home where my dad urged me to read Dalton Trumbo's "Johnny Got His Gun" when I came of age. This song reminded me of that book and the anti-war values on which I was (gratefully) raised.

Buster said...

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. I was thinking about my selection methods (if they can be called that) this AM, and wondering why if my primary interest is classical music that I present far more pop music than classical. And as Duncan points out, it is the "cultural, historical and sociological interest" that gets me. I find records like this endlessly fascinating for those reasons. I also am interested in politically committed artists, and Holman was one of them, as David notes.

Unknown said...

thanks !

jeronimo said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh....
Buster!

This is REALLY unbelievable...

I come back later, after listening, too excited!

j.

voyager said...

I was listening this recording last night and now again,first thing in the morning. It's similar in spirit to "Frances Faye sings Folk Songs" album but even more unorthodox,after all this woman had a theatre background so fair amount of acting here - sure,very off beat but also very appealing. Somehow it made me think that if Isadora Duncan lived long enough,she would sing like this,absolutely fascinating - you might doubt her vocals but her heart was in the right place. Thank you for this posting and I really,really like this album (strange as it might sound) - you pointed me in new direction.

jeronimo said...

Also taking this one again :)

Thanks a lot B.

j.