29 September 2019

Music from Hollywood and Percy Faith

My friend David F. recently asked if I had anything against the arranger and conductor Percy Faith, given that I had never posted one of his many, many LPs.

Well, I do like Percy and have many of his multitudinous albums, including this one, the subject of David's inquiry. I've owned Faith records since I was a avid record collector of seven, when I acquired Vic Damone's record of "On the Street Where You Live," which has a Faith arrangement. I loved his sound then and still do.

Percy Faith
This present LP, dating from 1953, is a good choice because it contains four lovely melodies from the films of the period - Dimitri's Tiomkin's "Return to Paradise," Heinz Roemheld's "Ruby" (from Ruby Gentry), Georges Auric's "Song from Moulin Rouge" and David Raksin's "Theme from The Bad and the Beautiful." Three of the four are particular favorites of mine, and "Return to Paradise" is enjoyably kitschy proto-exotica. "Ruby" has appeared here before in the Les Baxter recording, and "The Song from Moulin Rouge" in Arthur Fiedler's version.

All these items are presented in extended, 6-7 minute versions, unusual for an easy listening LP. So much the better to appreciate Faith's orchestrations, which he took very seriously. There's a Columbia promotional film in which he explains his methods to label head Goddard Lieberson, in the process insisting that orchestrators are as much composers as songwriters are. That's debatable, but there is no question that the craft requires great skill and knowledge, and that Faith was a master.

That's not to say that he was sui generis. You can hear the influence of Ronald Binge's Mantovani-style cascading strings in his writing, for example, and I would find it hard to identify any stylistic fingerprints that are Faith's alone.

Percy Faith conducts, Mitch Miller solos
On this record, there is much to enjoy, of course. On "Ruby," Faith uses an English horn as solo voice, unlike the hit versions by Richard Hayman and Les Baxter, which employ a warbling harmonica. The English horn solo was probably played by Mitch Miller, who brought Faith to Columbia and who collaborated with him on two instrumental LPs.

"The Song from Moulin Rouge," also known as "Where Is You Heart," was a gigantic hit for Faith, but in a different, shorter version featuring the impassioned voice of Felicia Sanders singing the William Engvick lyrics. I've included the vocal rendition in the download as a bonus, along with its flip side, "Swedish Rhapsody (Midsummer Vigil)," which itself was a hit for Faith. (You can hear Hugo Alfvén's original version, "Midsommarvaka," here.)

To me, the high point of the LP is "The Theme from The Bad and the Beautiful," gorgeous and extraordinarily well suited to the glamour and decadence of this story of Hollywood. Composer Raksin, who composed hundreds of film and television scores, is remembered today primarily for this theme and for the theme for "Laura," which became a much-recorded standard with Johnny Mercer's apt lyrics - which Raksin reportedly hated. The composer also had a hit in 1962 with his theme to the Ben Casey television show.

The LP was recorded in April 1953, I believe in Columbia's 30th Street studios. The sound is excellent. Columbia later added a few other songs to this 10-inch original to fill out a 12-inch LP.

Billboard, February 28, 1953

22 comments:

Buster said...

Link (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/#!zQ9FAIRI!CTLX6x8dn_hDT3sD-TRctLF1fedPYcP2Rmkn3P2Pl_U

alfred venison said...

i love it! another acoustic time capsule from buster. thank you very much again. -cheers, a.v.

Buster said...

alfred - Of course, and thanks for commenting!

TupeloBrian said...

I even liked Faith's girl chorus albums from the 60s. Not so much a fan of his last two Disco-esque albums he was required to make just before his death.

Buster said...

Brian - Yeah, I generally draw the line at disco.

centuri said...

Percy Faith was a fascinating and multi-faceted musician, arranger, composer and orchestrator.
Like Mantovani or Kostelanetz, he left so many albums in various styles, all of high quality.
Thanks a million dear Buster for this rare and special LP featuring famous Hollywood tunes.

Ernie said...

Faith released at least one full album of his own compositions, that's probably my favorite of his. You listen to it, and I swear you can't remember any of it an hour later. :)

Buster said...

From listening to his commentary, I got the sense that he wanted to be known as a composer, not just orchestrator. But it sounds like he didn't have a gift for writing memorable melodies.

David Federman said...

Thanks for this. I always thought Percy's glorious arrangement of "Invitation" was on the 10-inch. Obviously, the 12-inch expansion is important to track down. Somebody out there, please upload it. Regarding "Laura," I heard that Mercer disliked the song at first and only gradually warmed to it. Also worth noting: when asked for songs he wished he had composed, Cole Porter answered, "Laura." I like to think the lyrics had something to do with his envy.

JAC said...

Thanks for this, Buster! It may be wishful thinking to say that an orchestrator is AS MUCH a composer as the songwriter (though he's not the first to say that). But a good arranger does have to BE a composer in a real sense, to invent a treatment of the song that hasn't been used before but that fits it, and to build the whole thing in a convincing way.

I've been acquiring Faith's records of the songlists of various musicals, which once upon a time were so ubiquitous in record stores. They've been reissued on CD, 2 LPs' worth to each.

Your Pal Doug said...

Thanks for the wonderful pictures and rip.
For me, Return To Paradise is the keeper here.

Buster said...

JAC - I have the LPs for a number of those, e.g., Subways Are for Sleeping.

Buster said...

You're are always welcome, Doug!

flurb said...

David Raksin's work is worth seeking out. His scores to FOREVER AMBER, UNTIL THEY SAIL, and (never released separately) THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY are particular favorites of mine... Thanks for this, Buster!

Nigel said...

Percy was also an accomplished accompanist to Bennett, Clooney, Day and Mathis amongst others.
Anyone who would like my "Percy Faith with.."discography as an email attachment can contact me at "burlinson@orange.fr"

Nigel Burlinson

David Federman said...

Your last chance to celebrate the joys of summer and sorrow of Fall:
https://we.tl/t-7ci9ssPHm8

Rich said...

Buster, thank you very much for sharing this album.

Rich

thedentist said...

In one of the Columbia ads, there is the enticing note declaring that Judy Garland is "Columbia's new sweetheart!" I have discovered the four songs she recorded for Mitch Miller in 1953: "Without a Memory" and "Send My Baby Back to Me" (listed in the ad), plus "Go Home, Joe" and "Heartbroken." Can you supply these? Thanks for your generosity with all the buried treasures!!!

Buster said...

I do have "Go Home, Joe" and "Heartbroken." This is not my transfer, but I did clean it up substantially.

https://mega.nz/#!PYFmkABD!tr1raLRVWp-LAniOFIY5FMPGp2l8lgKjx9ndQk9Fhxc

thedentist said...

Thanks! Your prompt reply is much appreciated. This is not really much of a treasure, and maybe should stay buried. I guess we should be grateful she signed with Capitol after "A Star is Born."

Buster said...

Actually, I kind of like it, but then I enjoy listening to obscure songs.

thedentist said...

I prefer "Go Home, Joe," but one wonders how these songs were selected.