The result was this splendid LP, which RCA did not get around issuing until 1955. And that was it for Previn's tenure with the label, save for his 1956 Collaboration album with Shorty Rogers.
![]() |
| André Previn |
On the RCA album, Previn has a accomplished trio of studio musicians backing him - Al Hendrickson, guitar, Artie Shapiro, bass, and Irv Cottler, drums. The results are delightful and the recording is excellent.
A few of these songs have appeared on my previous Previn collections. Eventually I hope to present all his early RCA Victor recordings.
Reups
Here are my most recent attempts at remastering my early work, all done by request. The links below take you to the original posts.
Dardanelle - Piano Moods. Unlike Previn, the virtuoso pianist Dardanelle's fame did not last, despite a late career renaissance. I can assure you that if you like Previn, you will enjoy this fine artist. The LP is from 1950.
Louis Bellson - The Exciting Louis Bellson. This LP is primarily a showcase for drummer Bellson's powerful all-star big band - Maynard Ferguson, Wardell Gray, etc. The sessions date from 1953 and 1954.
Three for the Show (OST). An obscure soundtrack record for Betty Grable's final musical, issued in 1955. She shares the vinyl with Marge Champion and Jack Lemmon. Amusing, even though the singing ranges from toneless to croaking.
Omar Khayyam / The Mountain (OST). Two colorful scores dating from 1956-57: Victor Young's music for Omar Khayyam and Daniele Amfitheatrof's for The Mountain. Good sound - highly recommended!



23 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!aU8BwQAK!nkCuq_y1qBTbe1T4HludvNjphzeidFiGoCUN-0Cj6rs
Pervin is one of my favorites, particulrly as jazz pianist. Thanks for this and all the extras!
rev.b - You bet!
Thanks, Big Previn fan here, esp his Gershwin. I like his arrangement of Porgy and Bess for the great 1959 film with Sidney Poitier and Dorothy Dandridge, which the Gershwin estate stubbornly refuses to reissue.
thanks!
And I would love to hear those complete early RCA recordings.
Many thanks for more of these wonderful Previn recordings, much appreciated as ever.
P
Thanks, everyone - hope you enjoy the record!
Joe - This may be superfluous, but here is a link to an mp3 version of the soundtrack record. I don't recall where I got it, so thanks to the original uploader!
https://workupload.com/file/jQ4WDFtw
It sounds fabulous. Thanks again for that and the ST link. I have a bootleg of the film,and there the music sounds quite different. Sammy Davis, Jr is not on the ST (but at least they used the incomparable Cab Calloway!). In the movie, however, Davis delivers his very best, esp. in "It Ain't Necessarily So."
Sammy Davis's big number in the Porgy & Bess movie. As for video quality, remember the GG estate owns the rights to the film and steadfastly refuses to license it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gC-vSZr_9Xc
Sorry, corrected link
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gC-vSZr_9Xc&persist_app=1&app=m
thank you very much. -a.v.
Thanks, Joe!
Hi alfred - You're welcome!
Thanks for this new Previn gem (incredibly stylish) as well as for the interesting reups (among others Dardanelle is amazing!).
I never heard the Porgy and Bess soudtrack before: this is also a revelation to me: great (non opera) voices and incredible orchestrations showing one more time how Previn was a true fantastic and versatile musician.
Many thanks Buster for all these posts.
Didn't Previn return to RCA in the mid-60s more in a light music/semi-classical vein at least for an album or two?
Brian - You are Right as the Rain, the title of his duo LP with Leontyne Price. He also did a series of well regarded records as maestro, including the Walton first symphony.
There was also a solo album on RCA titled All Alone that was really nice, from around 1967 if memory serves. His take on As Time Goes By from that record was used as intermission music on the local late late show of old movies. Not knowing who was playing, I spent years tracking it down. Earl Hines? Nope. Erroll Garner perhaps? Sorry. It made perfect sense when I finally figured out it was Previn. Well worth the time and trouble in any event.
rev.b - I wonder if I have that one. I'll have to check.
thanks so much!! i can't wait to listen
Thank you, Buster.
Rich
Thanks Buster!
Post a Comment