![]() |
| Kurt Weill and Ira Gershwin |
![]() | |
| "Zolotaryov, Kvoschinsky, Sokolov, Kopylov ..." |
Finally, the show contains what amounts to three mini-operas in its dream scenes, all requiring elaborate staging that must have stunned Broadway patrons.
The original production was very successful on Broadway, running for 467 performances, then another 83 in a 1943 revival. Those were the years before Broadway cast recordings were common, though, so the recorded legacy of the original production is spotty. What exists are 10 solo recordings by the two leads for two different companies. Today's post brings them together in one place, with a few bonus items.
Recordings by Lawrence and Kaye
Four days before the February 27, 1941 opening, Victor invited Lawrence into its studios to record six numbers, which it issued in an album (cover shown at top). She sang all six songs in the stage production: "Glamour Music," "One Life to Live," "This Is New," "The Princess of Pure Delight," "The Saga of Jenny" and "My Ship."
![]() |
| From Vogue magazine |
Shortly after the opening, one of Victor's competitors, Columbia, engaged Danny Kaye to record four songs - his showpiece "Tschaikowsky" along with "Jenny," "The Princess of Pure Delight" and "My Ship," which he did not sing in the show. Again, some element of the staging is retained, at least in "Tschaikowsky."
Bonus singles
![]() |
| The young Cy Walter |
The final item in the package is Lawrence's 1950 re-recording of "Jenny," made for Decca. At that time, she was at a high point in her career, starring in The King and I on Broadway. She died in 1952 at age 54.
Two versions that are more complete
As may be apparent from what I've written above, the historical recordings do not provide a complete picture of Lady in the Dark. Nor does the 1944 film version - for one thing, it tosses out most of the score and is missing Lawrence and Kaye. (To hear two pieces of music that were written for the film, please see a companion post on Buster's Swinging Singles.)
Fortunately, two friends of the blog have contributed additional material that should be helpful to those of you with an interest in the show. First, Alan Gomberg has provided a complete recording of the score (if not all the dialogue) as presented by the BBC in 1988. Conducted by John Mauceri, it has the excellent Patricia Hodge as Liza Elliott. This radio production demonstrates the scope and stature of the music composed by Weill and Gershwin. The download includes Alan's notes on the recording.
Also, reader David has provided a one-hour radio version of the play as presented by the Theatre Guild on the Air in 1947. It presents a much fuller portrait of Lawrence in the part than do the 1941 records - and frankly she is in better voice than she was six years earlier.
Both of these recordings are from lossy originals, but I have remastered them and they sound just fine. They are presented in separate links in the comment section for a limited time. My thanks to Alan and David for their help!
Documenting the staging
![]() |
| From the Glamour Dream |
![]() |
| The Wedding Dream |
I transferred the Kaye and Lawrence records from a 1963 RCA LP reissue, but in the end decided to use my remastering of the 78s found on Internet Archive. The resulting sound is as good as the LP, and I like to use the originals where possible.
![]() |
| The Circus Dream |
Follow @BusterBig10Inch









31 comments:
Links:
1941 Recordings
https://www.mediafire.com/file/xg7pk3pzaxh6xhq/Lady_in_the_Dark_%281941_Recordings%29.zip/file
Theatre Guild on the Air production
https://www36.zippyshare.com/v/blx500W9/file.html
BBC Production
https://www36.zippyshare.com/v/HzfTh08r/file.html
Many thanks, Buster, for this most interesting article and upload. Very grateful, as always.
P
Fantastic show, and I have long loved pieces from this score. Thank you for this treasure, Buster!
Thank you, gents, for your comments, and please enjoy the materials!
Thanks again!
This is treasure indeed, Buster. Many thanks to you and the team for bringing us such a panoramic view of one of Broadway's forgotten landmark shows. May I also recommend this recording as a helpful reminder of just how ambitious the score of this show was? https://www.jayrecords.com/recording/lady-in-the-dark/
Thanks, Phillip - That company does wonderful work. I have many of their records - but not this one, I don't think.
Many thanks, Buster. I made a trip to NYC to see it at City Center last month. It was a really gratifying experience (overall, the finest of the 3 occasions I've been able to see the show).
One thing the production revealed is that the book isn't really so dated, in essence. It's about being (unintentionally) taught to feel inadequate in childhood, it's about trying to find that life/work balance that people still struggle with. The "concert adaptation" also helped by eliding one line near the end while leaving the spirit of the scene intact.
One more challenge is that Gertrude Lawrence, for all her famed vocal oddities, "thought like a soprano," and the part sits that little bit higher than is comfortable for most modern belt-based divas. (And the musical continuity of the three dreams means that they resist transposition.) But Laura Benanti, for one, could be sensational in the part.
For some reason I'm having trouble with these downloads that I haven't had before. I keep getting window overlays, or new windows, asking me to accept browser extensions etc. I've not needed to ask this in the past (and apparently everyone else is smarter than I am!), but exactly which button should I click, and what should I do then?
JAC - Yeah - Zippy is funny that way. It will throw up nuisance windows the first or second time you click on the link. Close those windows and keep clicking on the download link. Sorry about that! If you have trouble I will upload to Mediafire.
JAC,
You are some lucky person to see it three times. My closest approach was to tape the movie on VHS about 25 years ago.
Very interesting response to the latest staging, which I gather subtly tried to fix the more dated aspects of the book. I just find it interesting that the "type" of the hard-edged woman editor refuses to die. And the plot line of the steely female exec who just needs a man to love was common in films, and may still be, for all I know.
You may enjoy the BBC production if you haven't heard it. I really liked it.
Thanks for writing, as always.
Thank you Buster; with your encouragement I kept trying and trying, and now I have all 3 downloaded. My thanks as well to the estimable Messrs. Gomberg and David.
If I recall correctly, the Mauceri concert had been planned and announced for Julie Andrews (who had of course sung two of its songs when she played Lawrence in the movie Star!). But Ms. Andrews withdrew.
right click on the link and open in new window - the popups can't span to the new window. good luck. pass it on.
Zippyshare is temporarily blocked in some european countries ... please can you post them with another file hosting ... thanks
You're quite the detective of late! :)
Thank you and look forward to listening to it!
Now zippyshare is good thanks
LADY IN THE DARK IN LIVING COLOR 1954
Your blog has already earned you entrance into heaven, but I am nominating you for the 7th of these realms. "Lady in the Dark" is an extraordinary theater work and permitted Ira Gershwin to write 'darker' lyrics than he allowed himself with his brother, George. In 1954, NBC telecast a special in-color production of the play, starring Ann Southern and Carleton Carpenter. For the blessed sake of completeness, here is a high-res m4a download--at WeTransfer, alas, for one week--to add to the joy you have given me and the world with this post.
https://we.tl/t-RChi9yWz9x
Marvelous, David - thank you so much, and thanks as always for the kind words!
That's wonderful; thank you Mr. Federman. The video of this telecast has been officially released (of course as a kinescope, not in color), and it's wonderful to have the soundtrack here.
It'll be clear immediately that this, like the Lawrence and Kaye recordings, doesn't use Weill's original orchestrations: Irwin Kostal did new ones in the then-current style (he executed them masterfully, as he always did).
While we're talking about Lady in the Dark, let me also mention the book devoted to it, "Lady in the Dark: Biography of a Musical" by bruce d. mcclung. Of all the books devoted to single musicals, for me this is the most insightful, informative, and readable. He includes many seldom-reproduced photographs and provides a terrific chapter in which he talks us through what the opening-night audience saw (and how it was done), moment by moment.
JAC - Thanks for the info about the orchestrations. Also about the book. I have it on my list to order.
Alternative download links for the Theatre Guild on the Air and BBC productions:
Theatre Guild on the Air production
https://www36.zippyshare.com/v/blx500W9/file.html
https://www.mediafire.com/file/r9fz91ev52vxodw/Lady_in_the_Dark_%28Theatre_Guild_on_the_Air%29.zip/file
BBC Production
https://www36.zippyshare.com/v/HzfTh08r/file.html
https://www.mediafire.com/file/dtipmep1py4h4g4/Lady_in_the_Dark_%28Mauceri%29_%28remastered%29.zip/file
Thanks from German, England and Italy
Dear Buster,
There is one item you've missed - Kaye also recorded "It's never too late to Mendelssohn", not sure when or for whom, but I have it on a now deleted Prism CD if you'd like it.
Very best wishes,
David
Hi David - I was looking around for that one. I think it was a song dropped from the show. Would appreciate having it!
Here you are Buster. Not a very good song - I can see why it was dropped - but good to have for completeness.
Very best,
David
https://mega.nz/#!ANAwmQoT!przBO918FBOb-1KrMiOnaFePvML5r2LkKp-D-uc2Tbc
Thanks so much, David!
Alternative download link for the 1941 recordings:
https://mega.nz/#!WJkDDS5I!q0RXLGqEhKyUKVIciYh5SSwmJtq-rf4S9Ym0kqNgA-E
Note: please see below for alternative download links.
Dave from Ardmore: The other day I listened to the recordings of "The King and I" featuring Gertrude Lawrence and Marni Nixon dubbing for Deborah Kerr. Give a listen to the two and see how inimitable both singers are. I'm still pitching for a tribute to Nixon but now I want to add Marion Morgan who sang with Harry James between 1945 and 1947 and is one of the best big band female vocalists of the era. She deserves your attention.
Dave from Ardmore - Yes, Lawrence and Nixon were inimitable. I should work on the Nixon collection; also will check in on Marion Morgan!
Post a Comment