![]() |
| Hugo Friedhofer |
Although it is Friedhofer's score, he based the main musical cue on a melody by the Greek composer Takis Morakis, who is barely noted on the cover. Add Paul Francis Webster's lyrics, and you have a attractive pop song featured over the opening and closing titles.
![]() |
| Mary Kaye |
Why the change? Most likely because London was contracted to Liberty Records, which did put out her rendition as a single. It's not the soundtrack version; on the 45, the singer is backed by a solo guitar played by Howard Roberts. Decca belatedly came out with a competing version from Kaye. Neither were particularly successful, although both are excellent. I've added the London single to the download as a bonus.
Apparently co-star Sophia Loren also sings the tune in the film, but I don't have that one. That's Loren on the cover, looking distracted as Alan Ladd bends over to either kiss her shoulder or sniff her armpit. This is one of a long line of awful Decca covers from the period.
Friedhofer's music for the film is atmospheric and very enjoyable, making effective use of Marni Nixon's wordless vocals at times. The orchestrations are by Edward B. Powell, and Lionel Newman conducts the band. The sound is very good.
![]() |
| Billboard ad |





22 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/7v00mt0d601njr7/Boy%20on%20a%20Dolphin%20%28OST%29.zip
Beautiful music indeed !
I am also a big fan of Marni Nixon, an incredibly good and versatile singer.
Excellent orchestrations and sound.
Thanks Buster !!
Much appreciated Buster. Though a little pricey this book, which is basically an extended interview, provides fascinating insight into Friedhofer
https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810844780/Hugo-Friedhofer-The-Best-Years-of-His-Life-A-Hollywood-Master-of-Music-for-the-Movies
Always interesting stuff, Buster. Thanks!
Thank you!
Mediafire has blocked your files for this
Alternative link:
https://mega.nz/#!mcsynKKB!TX9Cs6LW1I5DzNWJihFrMXk6m_cegx00PSRoGzsDd5M
thank you again. -cheers, a.v.
thanks!
Fascinating--looking forward to giving this a listen. I've aways thought his music for "The Best Years of Our Lives" was underrated. And yes, ye gods what a terrible cover. What was going on in the art department at Decca in those days? - Jeff
Jeff - I think Alex Steinweiss was working there then, but I don't know if he had anything to do with the cover.
Here is the Julie London version:
https://www40.zippyshare.com/v/ALW87bfR/file.html
Thanks Buster & Eddie!
j.
From long time looking for Mary Kaye beautiful version "Another time, another place" from same movie ...
https://www.discogs.com/release/9584635-Mary-Kaye-Trio-With-A-Love-Thats-True
gimpiero - I have several Mary Kaye LPs, but not that single, I'm afraid.
Thanks... I know that is a very rare single with one of her best performance ...
Please when you have a little bit of time can you remove some cracks from this great Mary Kaye album (I'm not able) thanks ...
https://archive.org/details/lp_you-dont-know-what-love-is_mary-kaye/disc1/01.02.+I+Hadn't+Anyone+Till+You.mp3
gimpiero - Sure - I have that LP myself. May take me a bit of time.
No problem will gladly wait ... thank you very much
Yes it would be nice to hear some more of Mary Kaye. Her lps never turn up in the UK and postage from the USA is so expensive now
Unfortunately that is the only her solo album ...
I'll have the solo LP up in a little while.
Post a Comment