![]() |
| Henri René |
Well, it's not a concept that would pass inspection these days, 60 years later. Nor is the music anything that would be written today. René has concocted 12 originals, titling them for the male musical idols of the time. The composer used only their first names, so a key might be helpful for those of you who, unlike me, weren't around when this record was issued. In order, we have tributes to Perry Como, Frank ("Frankie") Sinatra, Harry Belafonte, Tab Hunter (not sure how he got in the mix), Eddie Fisher, Mario Lanza, Pat Boone, Dean ("Dino") Martin, Nat Cole, Johnny Mathis, Bing Crosby and Elvis Presley.
Don't expect portraits in sound. The numbers are indistinguishable, except for the "Harry" and "Elvis" tunes. Presley's tribute is the sort of sedate rock-n-roll that big band leaders used to introduce by saying, "Now here's something for the younger set." Belafonte is represented by a cha-cha-cha, a dance that came from Cuba. Belafonte himself came from Jamaica (or his parents did), and he was famous for popularizing the island's calypsos. A calypso ain't a cha-cha. But since the islands are near to one another, René must have figured that was close enough.
![]() |
| Benny Carter |
I should mention that Ernie recently offered another set of Henri René compositions on his own blog via an LP called Passion in Paint. Ernie likes it even better that the Weaker Sex album, so be sure to look into it if you like this one.
Thanks once again, Ernie!




20 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://www75.zippyshare.com/v/QhaqZFP4/file.html
Thanks so much Buster for this new subtle Henri René LP as well as for the link to Ernie's blog; his HIFi Living LPs are quite amazing too !
As a little boy someone gave me a collection of mostly RCA 1950s eps. There was a double ep of Rene's Music for Bachelors, but no records in the sleeve. I just thought the woman on the cover was pretty. Turns out it was Jayne Mansfield in her prime!
Thanks, Buster and Ernie! I can't tell you how many work hours I've spent with your various instrumental albums playing in the background. (The Conrad Salinger album is especially good for getting started in the morning.)
Yours in hi-fi,
Jeff
I'm having issues with the download site today, but I'll try again tomorrow, no problem. I do love me some Henri René, as Buster knows. (Early exposure via Julie Andrews's LP.)
Thanks for sharing this to the world, Buster. :) I hope Tab Hunter was impressed by his inclusion among the greats.
Hi everyone,
Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Blogger is supposed to notify me when anyone leaves a comment, but that function is apparently in for repair.
TupeloBrian - I am sure I have that LP. Jayne, as I recall, is in a nighty.
JAC - Let me know if you have any continuing problems.
Buster -- It happened again today, but it may be my own stubbornness that's at fault. This is a site I don't remember you linking to before, and (once I click on the right Download button, which I don't always, and I sometimes get a false message to install Flash, which may be a problem on my computer) it tells me that all slots for non-registered downloads are full. And I resist registering for such sites unless I really have to. I suppose I have to do it?
JAC - Zippyshare was Ernie's upload, actually. It typically will load one or two nuisance windows or tabs when you click on the download button. Close those and you should be back at the Zippyshare site, where you can click on the download button again.
Let me upload the files to Mega for you and anyone else who may be having problems.
Alternative link:
https://mega.nz/#!DIclmZjQ!XxeiTE2m-RAKJ2HWdhb4emJVMbgJb2CHtFXP3rwUf-w
Thank you, Buster! That worked like a charm, and seconds later I have it downloaded.
not all of us believe the modern notion that men are the weaker sex. i think that’s an idea for the younger set. rené may be old-fashioned, but i still think he was a classy guy. in fact, he has inspired me to attempt a change. what do you think of “ barbá “?
barbá - classier, no doubt
thanks for this
nice sound, although this is NOT Apple lossless but MP'3
Right you are - my mistake, not Ernie's.
sounds great anyway!! and much appreciated as usual!
New to me!
Thanks.
j.
I've been enjoying revisiting this and the other HR album. Unusual to find easy listening records of this era where all the pieces are original compostions. Would you be able to add "Passion in Paint" to your collection? The Zippyshare links on Ernnie's site are long gone
Hi there - I checked and I don't have the record, unfortunately. Sorry!
Post a Comment