The Key was not one of Arnold's more elaborate scores, but it does have a simple but attractive theme that appears throughout. Columbia thought enough of it that it had Al Stillman come up with lyrics, and bearded maestro Mitch Miller recorded it for single release. Columbia then added it to the LP. (Mercifully, they did not include the single's flip side, "Rockabye in Beardland.")
![]() | |
| Composer Malcolm Arnold (left) and conductor Muir Mathieson flank David Lean at a recording session |
Then again, some of you may enjoy the tune more than I suspect. If so, I invite you to visit my singles blog, where I have posted a version by a real polka band (not Muir Mathieson's English impostors), that of Frankie Yankovic, who was a Columbia recording stalwart for many years. Yankovic backs the "Chop Suey" number with the "Roseann Polka," a terrific number that shows off his excellent ensemble.
Now a few reups by request - both remastered for much better sound.
Morton Gould - Music of Morton Gould. An early Columbia 45 set presenting Gould conducting his own music and arrangements. He leads the Robin Hood Dell (that is, Philadephia) Orchestra. Features the "Cowboy Rhapsody."
Fritz Lehmann Conducts Brahms, Schumann and Dvorak. Worthy recordings with the Bamberg Symphony and Berlin Philharmonic taken from early DGG LPs.



8 comments:
The Key link (Apple lossless):
https://www.mediafire.com/?xcgqd21blkjnbev
Reup links (Apple lossless):
Fritz Lehmann - Brahms, Schumann and Dvorak (remastered)
https://www.mediafire.com/?j5jeiedmt1874e5
Morton Gould - Music of Morton Gould (remastered)
https://www.mediafire.com/?scu8it5wbjgd1nc
Ummm, do you have Rockabye In Beardland? You can't mention something like that and then not share it... ;)
And MF is blocking your download already. :(
MF must be demanding I supply Rockabye in Beardland, which I undofrtunately do not have. I will reup - thanks for letting me know!
New link for The Key:
https://mega.nz/#!SV8njYDL!TqABbP0bMUNvhgHhLL3Kov-PAt_UBM1LGKQA5VOsRFs
Thanks so much for The Key soundtrack. This was a very hard to find LP for soundtrack collectors to find.
Mitch
Thanks for this rare Malcolm Arnold. I knew him slightly right towards the end of his life, when he lived at the Crown and Cushion public house in Northampton. He could be heard banging out ragtime on the piano in the lunchtimes. He was, by that time, somewhat miserable, but would brighten visibly if asked about his symphonies and chamber works. He had had a troubled life and it was sad that he had lost control of his finances and his royalties and he never received the acclaim for his 'serious' music which was due.
Mitch - You're welcome.
Terry - Thanks for the anecdote. I have read about Arnold's turbulent life. He was a fine composer, though, and I enjoy his scores.
Post a Comment