24 June 2016

Sargent Conducts Holst; Walton Conducts Walton

Last night, after Britain voted to leave the European Union, reader Andrew wrote, "Buster, a few years ago, after it took the UK nearly a week to decide choose a Government, you found some Vaughan Williams to calm us down. We've just taken a day to leave the EU and we need it even more. Anything appropriate?"

Well, this music by Gustav Holst may not be soothing, but may be suitable for the situation. It is the ballet music from his opera The Perfect Fool, as performed by the London Philharmonic under Malcolm Sargent, in a Kingsway Hall session from March 1946. The transfer is from the original 78 set, with a fourth-side fill-up of Victor de Sabata's "Ride of the Valkyries," a left-over from his 1946 LPO dates.

At the same time, let me add a few noble and peaceful works (and one rowdier one) from another great British composer, Sir William Walton. These come from a 10-inch LP issued in celebration of Queen Elizabeth's coronation. They comprise the "Orb and Sceptre" coronation march written for Elizabeth, the "Crown Imperial" march from George VI's 1937 ceremony, the "Portsmouth Point" overture, and the arrangement of Bach's "Sheep May Safely Graze" done for Walton's "The Wise Virgins" ballet. The composer conducted the Philharmonia Orchestra in March 1953 Kingsway Hall sessions.

The sound on all these items is good.


17 comments:

Buster said...

Links (Apple lossless) -

Holst:

https://www.mediafire.com/?sqvwfu3dq78zcd1

Walton:

https://www.mediafire.com/?bpzvgsbyzyf77wm

coppinsuk said...

Hi Buster,

Thanks for the music that you uploaded to console reader Andrew's depression resulting from the ludicrous decision of the UK voters to reject the EU project - it might also sooth my blues about the world at this time - Trump, US gun lobby, and the EU exit.

The World is a terrible place at this time.

Thanks Buster for all the music that you offer us.

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Douglas (UK)

Buster said...

Douglas - You are always welcome!

Andrew said...

Buster, thank you so much. I have never heard this version of the Holst - I have Sargent's later version. Its all beginning to sink in, and I'm even more depressed now - bang go my plans of retirement in Auvergne, a part of France I love. In fact the EU may start to unravel as well.
Andrew

DonHo57 said...

Thanks, Buster. I love anything Holst, and always love hearing composers conduct their own works.

Nick said...

And you've chosen the most apposite title to reflect the vote, too - many thanks for this and for all your generosity! Best wishes, Nick

alfred venison said...

thank you very much for these recordings at this time. -a.v.

Buster said...

Thanks again, everyone - I am always grateful for your comments.

Ernie said...

I see what you did there... Perhaps you should have saved this for the presidential election? :(

Buster said...

Ernie - For the presidential election I have a soundtrack called "The Candidate," with Ted Knight playing the candidate.

centuri said...

Historical works and performers. Thanks a million Buster for these rare and captivating recordings.

KL from NYC said...

FYI: "Buster Keaton at age 10 for a stage production of Little Lord Fauntleroy (1905)" at The Black & White Film Facebook Page here: https://www.facebook.com/BlackAndWhiteFilmsPage/?fref=nf

Buster said...

KL - Quite a look!

Daver88 said...

Thanks Buster I am enjoying the Walton and it has evoked a wave of nostalgia in me for times past. HM Elizabeth visited Australia in the year following her coronation. This excited great patriotic and nationalistic fervour and pride; and the country basked in the glory of the presence of its monarch.
Sir Robert Menzies, Prime Minister of Australia at the time exclaimed "“I DID BUT SEE HER PASSING BY…AND YET I’LL LOVE HER TILL I DIE”

I have in my possession a piece of red carpet that Queen Elizabeth walked on when she arrived at Essendon Airport - Melbourne in 1956. My mother was invited to the arrival because my uncle was a fireman at the airport.

Ah, the good old days.

Buster said...

Daver88 - Thanks for the anecdote! I have never seen the Queen, but did once meet Prince Charles.

Muff Diver said...

Thank you Buster!

Mike said...

Thank you for posting all this wonderful music Buster!