03 July 2016

Robert Irving Conducts 'The Sleeping Beauty'

I have had it in mind for some time to transfer this recording, and was reminded of it by the recent request for Robert Irving's LP of Lecocq and Glazunov ballet scores. This double-LP set finds that conductor leading the orchestra of the Royal Opera House in Tchaikovsky's score to "The Sleeping Beauty" ballet.

This was based on the Sadler's Wells Ballet's 1955 production. Irving was at that time the troupe's music director. The recordings were made in June, and originally issued on HMV. My transfer comes from the RCA Victor set produced under license in the US.

Irving provides a lithe reading, keeping things moving along, which is to my taste, and hopefully was to the liking of the dancers. The Covent Garden orchestra is responsive but sounds a trifle underpowered in the strings.

The sound is well-balanced mono. It's possible that this was recorded in stereo, but I have not seen evidence of such a release myself. The download includes scans of the four-page insert.

11 comments:

Buster said...

Link (Apple lossless):

https://www.mediafire.com/?bol81l2m3dkh379

Andrew said...

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Nick said...

I've really enjoyed this, so thank you again very much indeed! Best wishes, Nick

centuri said...

Thanks so much Buster for that one ! Irving is a fantastic ballet conductor, finding a good balance in between symphonic purpose and ballet accompaniment style. Please more Irving....if poss....

Buster said...

All - Thanks for the comments!

Nick - Glad you enjoyed!

centuri - I have a good number of Irving records, so will be posting more over time.

centuri said...

Thanks Buster.

Muff Diver said...


I've never heard Sleeping Beauty before. Thank you Buster!

Muff Diver said...


I've never heard Sleeping Beauty before. Thank you Buster!

Buster said...

FYI - this is still available via the link above. If you get a "permission denied" message, try the link again.

Larry said...

Buster, have you ever run across Robert Irving's Kapp recording of the NYC Ballet Orchestra's complete "Nutcracker" ballet?

Buster said...

Larry - I have seen it, but I don't have a copy myself, sorry!