24 March 2013

Music for Easter with Stokowski

I was casting about looking for records to present for Easter, and had hit upon a Robert Shaw set to transfer - forgetting that it is missing one of the records. But I also had this RCA Camden LP of "Music for Easter" at hand, so that's our selection for today.

For some reason, during the first part of the 1950s, RCA used pseudonyms for the orchestras featured on the budget Camden label. Here we have the "Warwick Symphony Orchestra", which actually is the Philadelphia Orchestra in famous old recordings led by Leopold Stokowski.

How did he make his hair do that?

Stoki was a very popular personality when these records were made. He not only appeared in a famous cartoon himself (Fantasia) but was well known enough to have been caricatured in another cartoon by Bugs Bunny. I have to admit that for this and other reasons, I am one of the snobs who have a hard time taking him seriously. Many people do, of course, and I yield to them for purposes of this post. (And, of course, who am I to make judgments, considering some of the silly stuff I have offered here.)

The cover says "Music for Easter" and comes complete with a Gothic cathedral facade, but this is not music you will hear in church. Instead we have the Act I Prelude and "Good Friday Spell" from Act III of Wagner's Parsifal, together with Rimsky-Korsakov's Russian Easter Overture.

The sound here is good, especially when you consider that the Rimsky goes back as far as January 1929. The Parsifal excerpts are from November 1936, when Stokowski was beginning his withdrawal from Philadelphia.

LINK to 2026 remastered version

12 comments:

Phillip said...

An unexpected seasonal share and a painless way to enjoy Parsifal. I am one of those people who agree with the critic who said: "Parsifal is one of those operas that begins at 6 o'clock, and after three hours you look at your watch and it's 6.20." Many thanks, Buster.

Satyr said...

Thanks! Of course Stoki had a great Ego and loved to be a showman, but I think he was a very good director. I'm curious to hear these historic performances.

Wortley Clutterbuck said...

Have to agree with Satyr -- with his phony accent and on-and-off relationship with the truth, Stokowski is someone I would sooooo love to dislike.

UNFORTUNATELY, I'm forced to confess that several of my favorite recordings were made under the old rogue's baton. (Or non-baton?)

Thanks Buster, for holding your nose and posting. (Or perhaps pretending to.)

Buster said...

Hi folks,

Thanks so much for your amusing and apt comments! I was not fooling about my feelings about Stoki. I may enjoy (some of) his recordings, but I still don't take him seriously - especially in something like Parsifal. I think it is sublime music, although I have to admit that I agree with Phillip about its ability to make time stand still.

MisaJund said...

Hi
Thank you.

sturgeonjohnp said...

Please reup.
Thanks again for the Ella reup.

Gustavo said...

Dear friend: the orchestra is the philadelphia orchestra???

Bryan said...

Hi Buster, I saw the names associated with this and so I will try it out. Need some Easter music.
Besides, Germans and Wagner go together. Especially Germans and the German brand, Wagner frozen pizzas. Quite good actually.

Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bryan said...

It seemed Buster, I had to get out of my sick bed and go out of town to help a client, because he did not understand some of my recent Organization Methods. Well, it was not all that bad, I got double pay, he made me a lovely brunch, sans alcohol, and later we had a nice Irish/Easter afternoon tea.

That being said, this was a lovely listen as I traveled on my some-what merry way. A very recommended listen, even thoughIt seemed Buster, I had to get out of my sick bed and go out of town to help a client, because he did not understand some of my recent Organization Methods. Well, it was not all that bad, I got double pay, he made me a lovely brunch, sans alcohol, and later we had a nice Irish/Easter afternoon tea.

That being said, this was a lovely listen as I traveled on my some-what merry way. A very recommended listen, even though the It seemed Buster, I had to get out of my sick bed and go out of town to help a client, because he did not understand some of my recent Organization Methods. Well, it was not all that bad, I got double pay, he made me a lovely brunch, sans alcohol, and later we had a nice Irish/Easter afternoon tea.

That being said, this was a lovely listen as I traveled on my some-what merry way. A very recommended listen, even though Stokowski looks a bit possessed by something or he is trying to un-possess something.

Many people here have 4-5 day Holidays during list time, as most businesses are closed on Easter/Good Friday, Easter Sunday...Sundays are usually closed anyways, and Easter Monday.

Many people here have 4-5 day Holidays during list time, as most businesses are closed on Easter/Good Friday, Easter Sunday...Sundays are usually closed anyways, and Easter Monday.

Many people here have 4-5 day Holidays during list time, as most businesses are closed on Easter/Good Friday, Easter Sunday...Sundays are usually closed anyways, and Easter Monday.

Buster said...

Bryan - Hope you are feeling better!

Bryan said...

Thank you for your good wishes.
I rarely get sick, but when I do!!!