I have a thing for some post-war dance bands, Ralph Marterie among them. I recently had a request to reup a Marterie album featured here some years ago, and I enjoyed remastering the LP so much that I decided to transfer this collection, which dates from 1951.
Marterie Moods for Dancing collates the bandleader's recent singles, which cover a range of styles. As I wrote the first time around for the band, Marterie "had a good ensemble that played a variety of music quite well - from ballads to post-Hampton big band r&b."
The cover suggests that you will hear a female vocalist - not so. This is all instrumental, featuring the leader's trumpet. Hopefully he did not attempt to play it while peeking out from under the dancers' armpits, as he does on this cover.
Good sound on this one, even though Mercury at the time was pressing its records on the cheesiest vinyl (or vinyliest cheese) it could find. The download includes personnel.
By the way, if you like Marterie, I recently posted an EP that Vic Damone made with Marterie on my other blog.
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
1 month ago




6 comments:
Thank You for the share Marterie's are very hard to find .Never saw this early one.
Having about 8 of Ralph's recordings, this will be a nice addition, since it's earlier work. All familiar titles. Thanks Buster.
Jack
Thanks!
Thanks for allowing me to enjoy Ralph. I just turned 75 and I heard Ralph back in the '60s and I've his style of music. It's good music for the soul.
Thanks for all of the trouble you go through to provide the music, I appreciate it.
Dear Buster!
Can you reupload this album?
Thank you very much!
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/09ff2365cfgylw9
Post a Comment